AZ Illegal-Immigrant Law Draws Strong /m

iVillage Member
AZ Illegal-Immigrant Law Draws Strong /m
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 3:45am
Arizona Illegal-Immigrant Law Draws Strong Opposition
By KEVIN O'LEARY Kevin O'leary Sun

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 9:41am

"Although the Arizona law is cast as a way to find non-citizens on the street, the only way to tell the difference is to stop people and ask. Since many citizens look exactly like the people who are not citizens, many citizens will be stopped. This is unconstitutional."

Do you have any links that support your contention that the law has officers stopping people solely to check ID?

I haven't searched AZ gov's site for the text of the bill

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 11:37am

There is nothing in the legislation that defines "reasonable suspicion" which is the standard the police will use to stop people and ask for ID. The governor has said they will not use racial profiling, but she has not said what they will use.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 12:28pm

"The Arizona law is not, however, about a national ID card, it is about police stopping people for no reason other than the color of their skin."

There are numerous ways to enforce the law which would be very simplw. A national ID card seems very unobtrusive. Checking for residency status before giving away welfare money or enrolling into public schools would also be good ways to help do it, but we know liberals oppose that as well.

I'm curious how far you're willing to go with you presumptions. You claim we should not use the ID cards because you 'just know' the police will racially profile. What other laws should we stop enforcing because you 'just know' racial profiling is going to happen? How about burglary? Well, I mean it's ok to stop a suspect if they are white and ask for ID, but I'm sure if they stopped a person of color it would have to be due to racial profiling. I mean, we just can't trust the cops with something like this. You're right. You've won me over. The cops simply

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 1:47pm

"I do, however, have knowledge and opinion on constitutional issues. So I will repeat myself. In the United States, police cannot stop

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 5:37pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry you could provide no documentation to support your comments. Not everything you say jives with what I've been reading on this AZ legislation.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 6:02pm

<>

What parts would those be?

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 7:34pm

I never said anything either in favor of or opposed to a national ID card. I don't have an opinion about it either as a method of immigration control or as a method of general population control.

I said the law in Arizona has nothing to do with a national ID card. Its about police stopping people based on a reasonable expectation that they are illegal, without any other crime being committed. Since there is no way to tell, by looking, whether or not someone is illegal or legal or whatever, the police will inevitably stop legal immigrants and American citizens.

When everyone in the country carries a national ID card, then we can have a debate about the methods the police use when choosing to stop people on the street. That's not the discussion we are having here.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 7:35pm

They have been challenged in court, in some states, and have been found unconsitutional in some circumstances. It depends on the way they are implemented.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 1:40am

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/2r/summary/h.sb1070_04-19-10_astransmittedtogovernor.doc.htm

SB 1070 makes changes to laws relating to the enforcement on immigration laws, failure to carry an alien registration document, day laborers, harboring or transporting illegal aliens and employer sanctions.
History

8 U.S.C. § 1373(c) requires Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to respond to inquiries by federal, state, or local government agencies seeking to verify or ascertain the citizenship or immigration status of any individual within the jurisdiction of the agency for any purpose authorized by law, by providing the requested verification or status information.

Laws 2007, Ch. 279 enacted the Legal Arizona Workers Act (Act).

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 3:03pm

"I never said anything either in favor of or opposed to a national ID card."

You claimed stopping people without cause and asking to check their ID was unconstitutional so I asked how you felt about stopping everyone to do sobriety checks.

If you want to backpeddle away frm the topic, that's fine, but obviously stopping people and checking them is obviously not unconstitutional according to our court system.