Renting Question

iVillage Member
Renting Question
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 1:40pm
I had no idea what board to put this on, just looking for some input. We moved to another state in the fall and basically found a house on craigslist after seeing pictures. My husband saw it first and said it was good, and we basically said we'd take it. I came into town and saw it, noticed the carpet wasn't in very good shape but didn't say anything. We were stressed over a sudden move and should have said something but had a million things on my mind. We signed a 2 year lease and now the carpet thing is driving me crazy. It is really gross and now I feel like I can't say anything. Is there anything I can do in this situation?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 5:22pm

Depends on what you mean by gross. If it's worn out and dirty then you have recourse...I believe the landlord is required to clean and paint before any new tenant takes occupancy (at least that's the law with apartments).

If you simply don't like the carpet on a taste level, then you can just ask the landlord to replace the carpet. He might do it just because he understands that it needs replacing. If not, perhaps you can make a deal with the landlord to pay for the upgrade and have your rent modified to repay the expense...or perhaps to split the expense with the landlord because you'll be getting new carpet and he'll be getting an upgrade to his property.

Talk to your landlord...most of them aren't complete jerks.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 9:31pm

The laws of each state vary.