Republicans "all in" against Hispanics

iVillage Member
Republicans "all in" against Hispanics
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:47pm

Palin and the radical Republicans are "all in" against hispanics in supporting the Arizona immigration law.

This is the same law that says Mexican looking people can be pulled over based on a new unconstitutional standard of "reasonable" suspicion. It goes even further and says that citizen activists can sue law enforcement officials for not pulling people over based on this unconstitutional standard.

There is a reason that at least one prominent Arizona sheriff say he will not enforce this law. There is a reason that former Republican Homeland Security Chief Tom Ridge is not comfortable with the law.

There is a reason even Republican svengali Karl Rove is having second thoughts. Karl knows hispanic voters he spent years pandering to are rightfully going to say thanks but no thanks to Republicans over this.

Karl also knows that independent voters will have serious doubts about Republicans over this, and that the measure will drive Democrats to the polls to enable reform.

This hateful unconstitutional law that Palin and the Republicans have gotten behind will have a just effect on their ability to convince people to vote for them this fall.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 1:55am

Why do you care at all?

You have already blatantly shown that you don't care one bit about ("the"left's) labeling of black supporters and participants of Tea Party meetings as

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 7:41am

<< This was approved by 70% of the Arizona people, 30% of them are Hispanic.>>

Just because a bunch of people like it doesn't make it constitutional.

<>

Yes, and U.S. citizens are not required to prove they are citizens to the police. See the problem?

<>

Wow! Who's hateful again?

<< It is not hateful nor unconstitutional, >>

It is certainly unconstitutional under the 14th amendment and most likely will also be shown to be unconstitutional under the 4th amendment the first time a U.S. citizen is detained for "looking illegal."

Edited 4/29/2010 7:58 am ET by shannon.fannon
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 7:54am

"you are on the wrong side of the issue"

Since you claim to be so personally connected to this issue with your family in the area, how do you explain this prominent local sheriff who said he will not enforce the law because it is racist and unconstitutional?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/

In fact, the Sheriff said existing law already allows his police to turn over illegals to immigration, which his department does at a high rate. How do you explain that?

Again, Republicans are "all in" behind this anti-hispanic measure. It seems not well thought out at best and racist at worst. Will be interesting to see how your position plays for you all in the polls in November.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 11:12am

Why blame Arizona for daring to try and stem the tide of illegal immigrants, illegal drugs, and violent criminals flowing across its southern border? This is a tide that is destroying the state’s economy and causing massive increases in crime including the murder of American citizens on the border who dare to complain. Yet, the American public is being told that this law will cause violations of civil rights and so a boycott of Arizona is being called for to punish the citizens of the state because they overwhelmingly support the new law. The new Arizona law tracks the Federal law that has been in existence for 23 years but is no longer enforced by the Obama Administration. The people of Arizona, through their elected representatives, have simply taken the laws against illegal immigration adopted by Congress and made them into state laws that can be enforced by local authorities.

Despite the wildly exaggerated claims being made by the left, particularly those in media outlets like the major networks such as NBC and CNN, the Arizona law does not provide for the wholesale rounding up of Hispanics on every street corner in Arizona. The police must have probable cause to believe someone is in the country illegally or they must catch someone in the act of breaking another law. Then the authorities will have the right to detain the person and determine their immigration status. It is not the state that requires documents to prove legal status, it is a requirement of Federal law that all legal immigrants in the United States have written authorization from the Federal Government to be here.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 1:30pm

A whole apple? You sound like quite the desperado.

But your story is well taken. It's a serious matter and people trying to follow the rules have the thumb screws put on them to force compliance.

We know for a fact many illegals will carry in who knows what. To make matters worse, many of them will work on farms, which is the concern for bringing in outside food, spreading an outside bug/agent into our food supply.

Millions a year cross our borders entirely unchecked carrying whatever they have right to our farms and food production centers and the left really couldn't care, but you and I carrying an apple across the border... Well that matters to them.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 1:57pm

Palin, geez. When I saw her commenting that the AZ law could not lead to racial profiling, because racial profiling is illegal, I just shook my head in disbelief.

She sure is good for us Dems, though, lol!

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 1:59pm
And what about me? I was born here. What am I supposed to be carrying at all times to prove that?

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 4:33pm

So?

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 9:28pm
So you feel the law is unconstitutional, great well why don't we respect our consitution and the rules for illegals.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 9:38pm

What Mexico does has no bearing on what we do in the U.S.

I respect our Constitution enough that I think it should be abided by under ANY and ALL circumstances. This law isn't going to do anything to solve the illegal immigration problem, but will most likely trample on the rights of U.S. citizens. That is not acceptable, ever.

Pages