Republicans "all in" against Hispanics

iVillage Member
Republicans "all in" against Hispanics
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:47pm

Palin and the radical Republicans are "all in" against hispanics in supporting the Arizona immigration law.

This is the same law that says Mexican looking people can be pulled over based on a new unconstitutional standard of "reasonable" suspicion. It goes even further and says that citizen activists can sue law enforcement officials for not pulling people over based on this unconstitutional standard.

There is a reason that at least one prominent Arizona sheriff say he will not enforce this law. There is a reason that former Republican Homeland Security Chief Tom Ridge is not comfortable with the law.

There is a reason even Republican svengali Karl Rove is having second thoughts. Karl knows hispanic voters he spent years pandering to are rightfully going to say thanks but no thanks to Republicans over this.

Karl also knows that independent voters will have serious doubts about Republicans over this, and that the measure will drive Democrats to the polls to enable reform.

This hateful unconstitutional law that Palin and the Republicans have gotten behind will have a just effect on their ability to convince people to vote for them this fall.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 12:45am
The AZ law says if a person has a valid driver's license they are presumed to be a citizen...and the police can't stop someone just to check their ID.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 12:52am

>>> If I'm stopped and I have to prove I'm a citizen, that's not constitutional.

And yet it happens every day...when you're stopped by the police, when you want to purchase an item with a CC...when you want to cash a check...etc Looks like there's LOTS of unConstitutionality going on.

>>> If I'm stopped lots of times because I look a certain way and there is a suspicion that I'm an illegal alien, that's unconstitutional. If I'm stopped while walking down the street and asked to show ID, that's not constitutional.

Nope...the police aren't allowed to stop you JUST because of the way you look OR because they suspect you of being an illegal alien.

>>> Additionally, this law violates the 14th amendment.

Not if you actually read the law and read the 14th amentment.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 3:14am

"And by the way, no one has responded to this response of mine"

Probably because everyone is waiting for you to finally read and comprehend

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:31am

<>

That's been ruled constitutional if certain requirements have been met such as broadcasting where the DUI checkpoints will be.

<>

That is a federal law that one must provide certain documents for an I9 Form when getting hired.

Getting stopped for "reasonable cause" being that I look illegal isn't constitutional.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:33am
You can only be stopped for probable cause only and one of the things you agree to when you obtained your driver's license is that you will prove that along with your registration and insurance when pulled over by a police officer. Probable cause isn't "looking like you might be an illegal immigrant."
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:35am

<>

Oh yes, there is a "side" who doesn't want to stop illegal immigration and it isn't the Republicans.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:45am
You would expect wrong. There is "probable cause," but that isn't "reasonable suspicion." That's one of the things wrong with the Arizona law. Additionally, there's all this talk about how this law mirrors federal law. I don't believe federal law has a requirement that police must determine immigration status if there is a "reasonable suspicion" that the person is here illegally.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:52am
<>

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:52am

<< Democrats want these illegals here so they can expand their voting block. >>

Sounds like a crock to me because if Republicans were truly serious about the issue, I suppose they could have taken care of it when they had control of the White House and Congress. Since they didn't, it appears that no one in Congress has the guts to tackle this issue.

As for your CNS link, sorry, but I quit reading anything from there after they tried to pass off as news a "survey" that physicians were going to quit in huge numbers if health care was passed that they claimed was published in the New England Journal of Medicine when it was actually a paid advertisement that was not in the NEJM. What's their slogan again? Something like "the right news"? LOL! That's a good one, right along the lines of "fair and balanced."

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:56am

How long would that inquiry with immigration take? Would I be detained during the wait, or could I go on with my life?

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

Pages