Repubs Block Oil Spill Accountability

iVillage Member
Repubs Block Oil Spill Accountability
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:18pm

Latest abdication of responsibility for the party of accountability:

"Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma is mostly known these days for putting holds on federal appointments, but it turns out that blocking President Obama’s agenda isn’t the only thing on his plate: On Tuesday, Inhofe blocked a proposal to raise the liability cap on oil spills for energy companies from $75 million to $10 billion."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/senator-blocks-new-oil-spill-liabilities/gulf-disaster/?cid=cs:headline11

Why should we pay for BP's screw up? Can we afford it more than BP? Apparently the Republicans think so.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 2:42am
Just another example of the Democrat's hypocrisy. They take any penny the oil companies offer and then try to demonize them for political gain. The idiot Dems don't even know the cause of the spill but they're already having hearings, pointing fingers and demanding back-breaking sums that will ultimately, again, hurt the poorest of the American people. They must be terrified of the coming November elections...especially after last night.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 4:24am

"Why should we pay for BP's screw up? "

How do you know it was BP that screwed up?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 4:10pm

>>> How do you know it was BP that screwed up?

Because they're evil...didn't you hear Barry? ; )

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 7:47am

"They take any penny the oil companies offer"

Uh huh. And I've got this wonderful bridge to sell you. It connects Brooklyn and Manhattan. You could make a mint charging tolls. Maybe you could invest the proceeds in coins by Goldline :)

The limit of liability for the oil companies like BP for a spill like this is $75 million. That's less than a days profit ($93M) for the company, and it's so outrageously low that the company already has spent a bit more than that in trying to avoid an even worse PR poopstorm.

But don't let me stop you. Go right ahead on speaking about the poor defenseless oil companies. That's what it has been, is and will be about for Republicans. Advancing the interests of large companies at the expense of ordinary citizens.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 9:44am
Oh, yea, I must've forgotten that part.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 10:09am

"That's what it has been, is and will be about for Republicans. Advancing the interests of large companies at the expense of ordinary citizens."

You do know why this spill happened right? An emergency

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 1:27pm

<< "They take any penny the oil companies offer"

>>> Uh huh. And I've got this wonderful bridge to sell you. It connects Brooklyn and Manhattan. You could make a mint charging tolls. Maybe you could invest the proceeds in coins by Goldline :

Yeah...well, um...er...

"BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company's political action committees - $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals."
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64420A20100505

>>> The limit of liability for the oil companies like BP for a spill like this is $75 million. That's less than a days profit ($93M) for the company, and it's so outrageously low that the company already has spent a bit more than that in trying to avoid an even worse PR poopstorm.

A little reading goes a long way...

“What I said is what I mean: All legitimate claims will be honored,” said. “And I would add one further point: I think it is inevitable that the cap will be exceeded.”
http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/96093-bp-promises-to-honor-all-legitimate-claims-nelson-warns-of-gargantuan-disaster

“I have made absolutely clear…that BP, as a responsible party, will be held accountable for paying costs associated with this spill,” Salazar said in prepared testimony. “BP will be held accountable for all costs of the government responding to the spill and compensation for loss or damages that arise from the spill.”
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37406.html

>>> But don't let me stop you. Go right ahead on speaking about the poor defenseless oil companies. That's what it has been, is and will be about for Republicans. Advancing the interests of large companies at the expense of ordinary citizens.

No, no...please go on. It makes much more sense to attack and stupidly demonize the industry that is the backbone of the world economy and provides the quality of life those "ordinary citizens" enjoy.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 8:53pm

You've got to be kidding me!

Let's review your double standard.

When a company does something wrong under Bush, then it's the company's fault. Regulators under Bush were just fine. And we'll blame Katrina on the weather too.

When a company does something wrong under Obama, then it's Obama's fault.

Uh huh.

Please do keep defending those poor defenseless innocent corporations worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Please explain some more. Please do explain how BP's liability should be limited to less than a days profit. I wonder if the value of the oil they siphon off the spill will more than offset that in any event. People need to hear more from you and the Republicans this so it can help them decide how to vote in the Fall.

Republicans are unbalanced. Democrats are much more balanced, though admittedly imperfect. I'll keep the latter thank you very much.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 10:40pm
It really is amazing. The idea the government uphold some standards and be held accountable for its actions initiates an immediate hostile response from the left.
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 10:53pm

"When a company does something wrong under Bush, then it's the company's fault. "

I have no idea what you're talking about. I

Pages