Repubs Block Oil Spill Accountability

iVillage Member
Repubs Block Oil Spill Accountability
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:18pm

Latest abdication of responsibility for the party of accountability:

"Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma is mostly known these days for putting holds on federal appointments, but it turns out that blocking President Obama’s agenda isn’t the only thing on his plate: On Tuesday, Inhofe blocked a proposal to raise the liability cap on oil spills for energy companies from $75 million to $10 billion."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/senator-blocks-new-oil-spill-liabilities/gulf-disaster/?cid=cs:headline11

Why should we pay for BP's screw up? Can we afford it more than BP? Apparently the Republicans think so.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 10:29pm

>>> I am not going to waste my time responding.

No problem. That seems to be SOP with libs when their arguments fall apart.

>>> You live in a made up world in which Blackwater is a good honorable company

Yes, I do live in the real world...as opposed to Barry's "hopey-changey-corporations--and-rich-people-are-evil-looking-for-a-handout-nanny-world" that so many libs like to inhabit.

>>> and oil companies make a few forgivable minor mistakes here and there like the current gigantic disaster in the Gulf.

Was that the current "gigantic disaster" that was equally caused by a failure of Barry's regime to perform proper inspections? Yeah...thought so.

>>> I am out for a while. Need to come up for air. Goodbye for now.

Don't drink too much...kool-aid in those quantities can cause quite the reality hangover. ; )

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 8:22pm

I am not going to waste my time responding.

You live in a made up world in which Blackwater is a good honorable company and oil companies make a few forgivable minor mistakes here and there like the current gigantic disaster in the Gulf.

I am out for a while. Need to come up for air. Goodbye for now.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 8:20pm

Long post.

Reality: Obama's favorable to unfavorable rating is an average of 54.2 to 42.2, or plus 12.4 percent. That's a pretty strong vote of confidence in the midst of this economy after a President like Bush, whose all time low Presidential ratings really were in the dumpster by the time he left.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_favorableunfavorable-643.html

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 2:16pm

>>> Your post is incorrect across the board.

Wow! Well I have to say that I'm stunned that you think so. ; )

>>> Here is one of many glaring examples: "when a company does something wrong under Bush, they investigate it...not demonize the company for political purposes"

You have to be kidding me. Bush and Cheney did everything they could to help cover up corporate malfeasance by Blackwater and all the other companies with their hands in Bush and Cheney's honeypot in Iraq. Bush and Cheney did not investigate crimes. They most decidedly helped to bury the bodies, figuratively speaking.

Um...if this "corporate malfeasance by Blackwater and all the other companies with their hands in Bush and Cheney's honeypot in Iraq" was covered up and not investigated, then how is it you think you know about these alleged instances of "corporate malfeasance"?

And please...of all the points raised in the post, this was all you could come up with to show how "incorrect across the board" I was? Really? Pretty weak.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 9:56am

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows that 25% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty-three percent (43%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -18 (see trends).

Following passage of health care, enthusiasm for the president among Democrats soared. Today, however, just 49% of Democrats Strongly Approve of Obama’s performance. That’s down from a high of 65%. It remains to be seen whether this is a temporary aberration or the beginning of a lasting change.

Sixty-three percent (63%) of voters nationwide favor repeal of the health care law. That’s the highest level of support for repeal yet measured.

The Presidential Approval Index is calculated by subtracting the number who Strongly Disapprove from the number who Strongly Approve. It is updated daily at 9:30 a.m. Eastern (sign up for free daily e-mail update). Updates are also available on Twitter and Facebook.

Overall, 44% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the president's performance. Fifty-four percent (55%) disapprove. The Rasmussen Reports Media Meter shows that media coverage of the President has been 51% positive over the past week.

Just 27% are even somewhat confident that Congress knows what it’s doing when addressing that nation’s economic challenges. That figure includes only 6% who are Very Confident that Congress knows what it’s doing.

(More Below)

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 7:25am

Your post is incorrect across the board. Here is one of many glaring examples:

"when a company does something wrong under Bush, they investigate it...not demonize the company for political purposes"

You have to be kidding me. Bush and Cheney did everything they could to help cover up corporate malfeasance by Blackwater and all the other companies with their hands in Bush and Cheney's honeypot in Iraq. Bush and Cheney did not investigate crimes. They most decidedly helped to bury the bodies, figuratively speaking.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 3:03am

>>> When a company does something wrong under Bush, then it's the company's fault. Regulators under Bush were just fine.

No, when a company does something wrong under Bush, they investigate it...not demonize the company for political purposes.

>>> And we'll blame Katrina on the weather too.

Well...to be fair, Katrina WAS weather. But the ensuing catastrophe was the fault of the inept and corrupt local and state Dems.

>>> When a company does something wrong under Obama, then it's Obama's fault. Uh huh.

It's Obama's fault when the Obama regime "inspected" the rigs and gave them a passing grade...or exemptions...as Barry has done several times.

>>> Please do keep defending those poor defenseless innocent corporations worth hundreds of billions of dollars.

Wow...a very telling comment. From the liberal point of view...the value of a company is directly proportional to how evil it is. LOL!

>>> Please explain some more. Please do explain how BP's liability should be limited to less than a days profit.

BP's liability should be proportional to it's fault in the spill...just like it should be the government's fault for Barry's failure to properly inspect and regulate the faulty platform.

>>> I wonder if the value of the oil they siphon off the spill will more than offset that in any event. People need to hear more from you and the Republicans this so it can help them decide how to vote in the Fall.

Hopefully...it would be a shame to see an accident like this hurt people with increased gas prices this summer.

>>> Republicans are unbalanced. Democrats are much more balanced, though admittedly imperfect. I'll keep the latter thank you very much.

I think you spelled "unbiased" improperly...but you're right, Dems are definitely biased...and unbalanced.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 2:43am
Excellent points all around...I'm sure we'll be hearing "crickets" from the left in no time. Oh, wait...there they are...
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 10:53pm

"When a company does something wrong under Bush, then it's the company's fault. "

I have no idea what you're talking about. I

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 10:40pm
It really is amazing. The idea the government uphold some standards and be held accountable for its actions initiates an immediate hostile response from the left.

Pages