A potential far worse gulf oil spill?

iVillage Member
A potential far worse gulf oil spill?
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 8:54pm

Representative Grijalva has said a whistleblower has warned us that the Atlantis offshore drilling platform may be the next shoe to drop in the Gulf. All indications are that the oil companies have not been doing very well in implementing safety measures on their own, to put it lightly.

At 200,000 boe, the Atlantis platform going down in a similar disaster as the current platform could result in orders of magnitude more oil being dumped into the Gulf. Would the Gulf survive? Who knows whether how it will weather the current crisis, let alone a far bigger one on top of it.

Hopefully we have learned that we can't afford to play fast and loose with offshore drilling anymore.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-20/u-s-should-shut-bp-atlantis-platform-lawmaker-says-update2-.html

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 10:13pm

>>> All indications are that the oil companies have not been doing very well in implementing safety measures on their own, to put it lightly.

The oil companies don't implement safety measures on their own...they are highly regulated by the government...Barry's government...and we all know how competent Barry's regime is...

Well, isn’t this quite the twist of events. Obama was the top recipient of donations from BP in 2008, and it looks like he favored them after all. He let BP’s gulf drilling be exempt from an environmental study last year.

The Interior Department exempted BP’s calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

The decision by the department’s Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP’s lease at Deepwater Horizon a “categorical exclusion” from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009 — and BP’s lobbying efforts just 11 days before the explosion to expand those exemptions — show that neither federal regulators nor the company anticipated an accident of the scale of the one unfolding in the gulf.
http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2010/05/05/obama-admin-exempted-bps-gulf-drilling-from-environmental-impact-study/

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 9:46am

Your attacks on President Obama aside (by the way I wonder why you aren't equally vociferous against Bush and Cheney, who after all had two full terms of pandering to Big Oil) . . .

it looks like we have something we agree on! Regulation of offshore drilling has been lax. Bad accidents have resulted.

The obvious conclusion? Pull the plug on further offshore drilling operations until the government conducts a real inspection.

If the right, middle, and left agree on this, what are we waiting for? Will everyone please join me in the call to shut down the Atlantis until it has undergone a proper inspection? I invite you.

If oil companies are allowed to continue to drill without reasonable inspections they will not have safe operations or implement proper safety measures. Please chime into this thread and call for a moratorium on offshore drilling operations for Atlantis and every rig off the coast of the US until it undergoes a proper inspection.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 2:46pm

We should have been paying attention to this last summer:

http://www.cleanoceanaction.org/index.php?id=420

Besides worrying about the devastation of the gulf water, beaches, wildlife and industries, I keep wondering what's happening to the space vacated by all the oil that's spewing from below the sea floor. Do we know what extraction at such a high rate does beneath the sea floor?

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 4:27pm

>>> We should have been paying attention to this last summer:

Just sensationalism...like trying to get people to stop driving by listing every single auto accident that occurs worldwide.

>>> Besides worrying about the devastation of the gulf water, beaches, wildlife and industries,

Until this recent spill, I hadn't heard about the devastation of the gulf water, beaches, wildlife and industries. In fact, just the opposite...all benefited by the oil that was provided by that drilling.

>>> I keep wondering what's happening to the space vacated by all the oil that's spewing from below the sea floor. Do we know what extraction at such a high rate does beneath the sea floor?

An interesting question...and one that's presumably been considered by experts. We've been drilling on land for centuries and so far, I haven't heard about any "sinkhole" type collapses of empty wells.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 5:53pm

"every single auto accident that occurs worldwide"

If that's how you still characterize concerns about offshore drilling, I am afraid you are ignoring the huge disaster playing out in front of our faces in the current spill and the next one that is looming until our government starts serious inspections.

We need to shut down any offshore platform that has not been properly inspected until a reasonable inspection has occurred. The Gulf may not be able to withstand another spill like this one.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 7:51pm

"We need to shut down any offshore platform that has not been properly inspected until a reasonable inspection has occurred. The Gulf may not be able to withstand another spill like this one."

Oh my, we agree!! small miracles do happen!! ;)

anywho, with a sidenote added, what exactly are we going to cut to fund this extra inspection? welfare comes to mind to me, especially when i was standing behind a girl yesterday buying about 20 packs of HI-C juice boxes (which are mostly sugar, with vitamin C added) using her little silver card to pay for it. that was all she had in her cart, juice boxes...wtf???

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 8:12pm
interesting...I hadn't heard about the issue...thanks
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 8:17pm
You're welcome. I hadn't either...just thought I'd look to see if there had been anything like that happen and came across the links I posted.
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 9:37pm

Glad we agree. And do you want to know where the money to inspect offshore oil rigs can come from a hundreds time over right now? Simple and right on point. Cutting the billions in US government subsidies to big oil companies.

By the way, did you see this latest clip of BP's spokesperson today? I'm not sure he was aware of the significance of what he was saying, but he flat out admits he doesn't know what went wrong as well as the basic facts of what is happening (like how much oil is spilling).

How we can let these guys carry on with the other offshore platforms like nothing happened and still without a reasonable government inspection is beyond me.

And if I were in Florida or another Gulf state, I would be about hundred times even madder, if that is possible.

Pages