AZ gov tries to help Barry's illiteracy

iVillage Member
AZ gov tries to help Barry's illiteracy
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 4:41pm

The Problem of Illiteracy in Our Nation’s Capital

By Bob Ellis on May 22nd, 2010

You have to hand it to that Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. She is so dedicated to fighting illiteracy, she’s funded this video to help promote reading not only in her own state of Arizona, but also to combat the terrible problem of illiteracy in Washington D.C.

It seems many people, powerful people that you would normally expect to be able to read, just aren’t able to read simple laws. Many of these same people produce and vote on laws that are 2,000 and nearly 3,000 pages long…yet find themselves incapable of reading the very laws they pass…or an Arizona law that is only 10 pages long.

I remember there used to be a commercial on TV, one we could all agree with: a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

But thank God for Governor Brewer’s dedication to this important issue.

Watch the vid...

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2010/05/the-problem-of-illiteracy-in-our-nations-capital/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qEQ-KnitQ&feature=player_embedded

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 6:56pm

<>

Why do you think it would be a foolish move on his part?

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:20pm
The AZ law is going to be tested legally...why on earth would another state enact similar legislation, and get attacked by the ignorant morons on the left, until the AZ law has, as we all know it is, been proven to be Constitutional?
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:25pm
Insults again. I just don't get why you think it is necessary, but I'm not going to deal with it. Back on ignore again.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:30pm

>>> Those people aren't the Governor of Ohio.

So?

>>> That's one county out of 88.

That's one VOCAL county out of 88. With 84% of the country supporting the AZ law, it's pretty ridiculous to assume that the other 87 disagree significantly.

>>> I doubt Strickland will do anything. Maybe he's like me. Truly sitting on the fence.

Or maybe he's just another scumbag politician who's integrity is determined by whichever way the political wind is blowing? Only time will tell.

>>> We have the second largest Somalian area, in the US. So where would ICE start? Yes, Ohio has a lot of Migrant workers especially near Toledo (Lucas Co).

ICE could start by applying the law fairly and across the board...and by deporting ALL illegal aliens it comes across.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:39pm

>>> Insults again. I just don't get why you think it is necessary

It's necessary to call a spade a spade...and those libs who attack AZ for acting within their rights and in defense of the citizenry by creating lawful and Constitutional legislation are, quite simply, morons, demonstrated both by their anti-American ideology and their complete ignorance of the issue they are whining about. But I never directed any insult at you, so I wonder why you would feel insulted by my previous comments? Say...you aren't one of the folks who oppose the AZ law...are you?

>>> Back on ignore again.

I'll try to muddle through without your keen liberal insight and compelling arguments.

Edited 5/25/2010 3:40 am ET by gouvernor.morris
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 12:48pm
It just came on our local news. Strickland will VETO any bill that crosses his desk, that even looks like the AZ bill.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 12:58pm
A foolish comment. With 60+% of Ohio voters supporting the AZ law, if Kasich takes the opposing position it's likely you'll have a new Republican governor soon.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 1:28pm

Have you ever heard the story about the Murderer that is torturing a little old man? He has the old man's tiny bird in his hand. He ask the old man if the bird is alive or dead. The old man replied that it was up to the murderer if the bird was alive or dead.

No matter which stance Strickland took, Kasich would take the opposite stance. Oldest trick in the book.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 2:35pm
Hopefully Kasich is smarter than that. Just taking an opposing position won't get you anywhere...but as a conservative, it's likely that Kasich honestly supports enforcing immigration law, and the fact that most Ohioians(?) also support the AZ law, only highlights how foolish and out of touch Strickland (and most libs) really are.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 3:22pm
I doubt Strickland is out of touch. We have a very large Mexican population here. Especially in the summer and fall. Like I said I'm on the fence. On one hand I don't have a problem showing my I.D. Seems like lately, every time I use my credit and/or debit card they ask for I.D. But I don't care for the idea of profiling. When I was younger, especially in the summer, people would ask me if I was Mexican. When my daughter was born, there was one white baby (her) one black baby and the rest were of Mexican descent. About 15 babies. I've seen first hand the condition they live in. Wesson/Hunt Plant used to be about 5 miles from where I lived in Toledo. The migriant workers lived in awful housing. It was nothing more than a shack. With a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

Edited 5/26/2010 3:32 pm ET by ohearto