AZ gov tries to help Barry's illiteracy

iVillage Member
AZ gov tries to help Barry's illiteracy
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 4:41pm

The Problem of Illiteracy in Our Nation’s Capital

By Bob Ellis on May 22nd, 2010

You have to hand it to that Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. She is so dedicated to fighting illiteracy, she’s funded this video to help promote reading not only in her own state of Arizona, but also to combat the terrible problem of illiteracy in Washington D.C.

It seems many people, powerful people that you would normally expect to be able to read, just aren’t able to read simple laws. Many of these same people produce and vote on laws that are 2,000 and nearly 3,000 pages long…yet find themselves incapable of reading the very laws they pass…or an Arizona law that is only 10 pages long.

I remember there used to be a commercial on TV, one we could all agree with: a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

But thank God for Governor Brewer’s dedication to this important issue.

Watch the vid...

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2010/05/the-problem-of-illiteracy-in-our-nations-capital/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qEQ-KnitQ&feature=player_embedded

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 5:11pm

>>> I doubt Strickland is out of touch. We have a very large Mexican population here. Especially in the summer and fall.

If you have a large Mexican population that appears at one time of year and then disappears, they're probably illegals...and probably putting a serious drain on your local economy. They're also not eligible to vote, so I can't see the benefit to Strickland pandering to them. With 60+% of the folks in Ohio supporting the AZ law, it's more than likely that there are a number of Latinos who are among that number so again, it seems like a very foolish political move to take a position against an ever growing majority of the population...but watching Dems lately, one cannot accuse them of being very smart.

>>> Like I said I'm on the fence. On one hand I don't have a problem showing my I.D. Seems like lately, every time I use my credit and/or debit card they ask for I.D.

I don't know about you, but I've lived in several states across the country and in every one, I've been required to show my ID whenever a police officer has had "lawful contact" with me. There is absolutely nothing new in the AZ law...the left is just lying trying to create an atmosphere of fear.

>>> But I don't care for the idea of profiling.

I love the idea of profiling. It's pretty stupid to strip-search a 75 year old white grandmother when you're looking for a terrorist...but to ease your mind, the AZ law specifically prohibits profiling. Phew!

>>> When I was younger, especially in the summer, people would ask me if I was Mexican.

Why?

>>> When my daughter was born, there was one white baby (her) one black baby and the rest were of Mexican descent. About 15 babies. I've seen first hand the condition they live in. Wesson/Hunt Plant used to be about 5 miles from where I lived in Toledo. The migriant workers lived in awful housing. It was nothing more than a shack. With a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

And? It's not like there wasn't other housing available, they CHOSE to live in those shacks...probably because it was either free or very cheap.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 6:57pm

60% of Ohio? I find that odd. No one has ever ask me, my feelings on it. Or my Mom, or brother or anyone I know. Maybe 60% of those polled. But I really don't have much faith in Polls. All I have is a cell. No one has ever called me to ask how I felt about anything. More and more people are ditching landlines and newspapers.

"Why"

Well lets see. I'm 1/4 Native American. When I was younger and during the summer months I was very tan. Because of features, I guess I looked Hispanic. Guys used to hit on me by speaking Spanish. I would respond that I had no idea what they were saying.

Edited 5/26/2010 6:58 pm ET by ohearto
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 8:24pm

>>> 60% of Ohio? I find that odd. No one has ever ask me, my feelings on it. Or my Mom, or brother or anyone I know. Maybe 60% of those polled. But I really don't have much faith in Polls. All I have is a cell. No one has ever called me to ask how I felt about anything. More and more people are ditching landlines and newspapers.

How do you know no one has asked anyone you know? Somehow I doubt that they would all rush to report to you. But I understand your skepticism...when the left was touting Barry's high approval numbers no one had bothered to ask me...or my mother.

<<< "Why"

>>> Well lets see. I'm 1/4 Native American. When I was younger and during the summer months I was very tan. Because of features, I guess I looked Hispanic. Guys used to hit on me by speaking Spanish. I would respond that I had no idea what they were saying.

Well, I'm white and don't tan well but folks don't approach me by speaking gaelic. Presumably, some people make the assumption that you look latino...but that's no more egregious than folks assuming that Obama is black...just an honest mistake...but hardly profiling.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 11:21pm

yep' just an honest thar mistake.....

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 3:05am
Channeling a pirate now? LOL!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 9:28am
Well let's see. My Mom usually tell me every single thing she does, sees, eats, talks to, neighbors faults.........every single day. I was on the phone when I read your post. I was talking to my brother. He said no one ever calls him about polls. He then ask his wife who was sitting right there. Oh, yeah, we all live in Ohio. We're all Buckeye's.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 3:06pm

I don't know about you, but I've lived in several states across the country and in every one, I've been required to show my ID whenever a police officer has had "lawful contact" with me. There is absolutely nothing new in the AZ law...the left is just lying trying to create an atmosphere of fear.

I agree... as we can all see from my pic, I am just a white girl with freckles.

Pages