Non-English speaking citizens?

iVillage Member
Non-English speaking citizens?
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 2:51pm

I know this may raise a heated debate, but I'm a naturalized citizen and my mom is also, she is from Japan and has been in this country for nearly 40 years. She had to pass the citizen exam, so at some point she had to read, write and speak English to pass.

My issue is with citizens like her that only learned enough English to pass that exam. Now she can barely read English, can't spell basic words without difficulty, and can barely speak English. I love her, but she can't survive without relying on others. I have tried to get her to work to improve her communication, but I feel she doesn't want to.

Does anyone feel that there should be some type of citizen review, maybe every 10 years, that as long as the person is of sound mind, able body, that they should have to go through some type of review to ensure that they still know enough English to be self-sufficient? This is a serious question, because I see how some people who don't speak English get over on the system.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 8:50pm

I'm sure the one you asked this question has their own examples to give, but the most glaring example I am aware of is that legal immigrants are required to have a sponsor. The sponsor agrees to assist the immigrant and even provide for them financially if need be so the immigrant does not become a burden on our economic system.

That policy is entirely ignored so far as I can see.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 8:55pm
My mom can read, write and speak English perfectly, however, she is not self-sufficient. Should she be deported?

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
I don't think it's that few and the people are from different countries, not one specific country - Mexico, Cuba, Etc. It's happened and it's not that few.
iVillage Member

So far as I'm concerned, once they pass the test they are in and can not/should not be revoked.

So far as after the test, we have tons of people that make very bad decisions and bear the brunt of those decisions in financial ways. They then resort to public assistance. IMO, everyone asking for public assistance should be given a battery of tests every so often. If someone can't read and there's no reason they can't read such as a learning disability, then they do not deserve public aid. It doesn't matter if they are naturally born or not.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 8:58pm
You'd have to give some examples and links. Thanks.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:00pm
You can feel free to do research on it, just because I haven't posted all of the specifics for you to read here, doesn't change that it's happened. Thanks.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:12pm
Oh, I have researched it in the past, so I know that it isn't happening like you claim. It's on you to back up your statement that it's happening, frequency, and what benefits these people are supposedly getting. Not my job to do the work for you.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:12pm
I agree, citizenship shouldn't be revoked, but a mandatory review would be ideal. If a person has to study for something, it would help enforce reading and learning.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:14pm
I'm not saying your wrong, but I think you need to go back and do your research. We can debate about this, you're entitled to your opinion, but again that does not refute that this has happened.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:16pm

( some of them who are in this country and still awaiting to become citizens get to take advantage of the system, while some people who are citizens may not be able to afford health care, don't get to take advantage of the 7 year tax-exemption, etc.)

Welcome to America! LOL! Even our own President had an aunt living in the country illegally sponging off of the taxpayers...while our President, a millionaire, could have easily afforded to pay for her housing. Instead, he turned a blind eye and allowed the bilking of the American taxpayer to support his illegal relative. How's that for the American way? LOL!

Pages