Non-English speaking citizens?

iVillage Member
Non-English speaking citizens?
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 2:51pm

I know this may raise a heated debate, but I'm a naturalized citizen and my mom is also, she is from Japan and has been in this country for nearly 40 years. She had to pass the citizen exam, so at some point she had to read, write and speak English to pass.

My issue is with citizens like her that only learned enough English to pass that exam. Now she can barely read English, can't spell basic words without difficulty, and can barely speak English. I love her, but she can't survive without relying on others. I have tried to get her to work to improve her communication, but I feel she doesn't want to.

Does anyone feel that there should be some type of citizen review, maybe every 10 years, that as long as the person is of sound mind, able body, that they should have to go through some type of review to ensure that they still know enough English to be self-sufficient? This is a serious question, because I see how some people who don't speak English get over on the system.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:19pm

(Who would those non-citizens be? )

Obama's aunt, for one. ;-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:20pm

I am the third generation you speak of.

My grandparents who immigrated from Italy, spoke only miniscule amounts of English. ( To this day, I really don't know just how legal they were, the immigrated to this country before the great depression)

My mother spoke Italian and English and me and my siblings speak only English.

My grandparents were both hard workers, just because they spoke little English, doesn't mean they were getting over on they system.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:20pm
If it has happened or is happening, it should be very easy for you to prove your point.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:26pm

Do you also support people having to re-certify their HS diploma every 10 years.

And if they can't pass, revoking their HS diploma ?

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:29pm

LOL! Too funny, but very true. It's sad, but this occurs frequently.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping family, but not by further draining our tax dollars. I've seen it where one family member will pass their citizenship and then sponsor for other family members, they'll live together, sometimes 8 or 9 people in one house, every adult getting the 7 year tax-exemption status when they pass the citizenship exam and using that money saved from not having to pass taxes to help build a business. It's good that some will help uplift their families, but not everyone abides by the laws or someone will try to get over.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:32pm
Again, it's not up to me to point you to the truth, it's up to you to find it and read it for yourself. I'm surprised that you don't recall certain past current events where people came to this country, weren't citizens, obtained care, or etc. that they needed. It's not up to me to point you in the right direction, it's up to you to find it on your own:) Again, it's not my fault that you don't recount certain current events. It's happened and again, it's up to you to do further research.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:37pm

Again, I stated this would raise a heated debate. I didn't state revoking citizenship, but the under laying point I have been trying to make is to enforce learning, reading, and writing. It's a proven fact that when people "don't use it, they lose it".

I'm not making any reference to HS Diplomas, this is regarding naturalized citizens and I've seen the effects of what happens when they've never had to learn anymore than enough to pass the citizenship exam. Continually learning helps, it keeps them learning.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:49pm

(. It's on you to back up your statement that it's happening, frequency, and what benefits these people are supposedly getting. )

Why here is an example, it was easy to find.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/07/eveningnews/main4000401.shtml?source=mostpo+p_story

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 9:52pm
It's the Obama way...hypocrisy.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:05pm
You made the claim, you back it up. That's the way it works.

Pages