Non-English speaking citizens?

iVillage Member
Non-English speaking citizens?
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 2:51pm

I know this may raise a heated debate, but I'm a naturalized citizen and my mom is also, she is from Japan and has been in this country for nearly 40 years. She had to pass the citizen exam, so at some point she had to read, write and speak English to pass.

My issue is with citizens like her that only learned enough English to pass that exam. Now she can barely read English, can't spell basic words without difficulty, and can barely speak English. I love her, but she can't survive without relying on others. I have tried to get her to work to improve her communication, but I feel she doesn't want to.

Does anyone feel that there should be some type of citizen review, maybe every 10 years, that as long as the person is of sound mind, able body, that they should have to go through some type of review to ensure that they still know enough English to be self-sufficient? This is a serious question, because I see how some people who don't speak English get over on the system.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:07pm
The ones getting the benefits are American citizens.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:14pm
It's not up to me to prove anything to you. However, your past research seems flawed. Again, you must not be up on the past current events, nor even current events. It's up to you to find the truth, not me to show you. You're failing on even seeing things when 2 people have posted things that are current facts. Try watching the news and doing some research, you'll come up with plenty of facts that our some of our tax dollars are going to help non-citizens.
Community Leader
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:20pm
Actually, when one posts (or states) one's opinion, another may ask for the facts and details upon which that is based. That is debate. I must supply the facts to support my POV and I can reasonably expect others to do the same.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:28pm
I hear your point, but I thought everyone would be up-to-date on current events and past events where tax dollars have been spent to provide aid/assistance and health care to non-citizens that were here in the U.S. I would think that everyone who watches the news could recount that.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:44pm
And, you still don't believe that our tax paying dollars have went to provide aid/assistance & health care to non-citizens? You don't understand why part of the reason health care is so high do you? I know a few illegal immigrants who are here, working, and getting some aid. Will I tell on them? No, it's not my place to. Again, it's happening and it's not based on a few occurrences either. Or why would there be so much government debate regarding illegal immigrants. Furthermore, do you honestly believe that based on the meager wages that some of them earn while here in this country that they can afford health care? No, most of them can't and they do get some government aid. Again, do your research to find the truth.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:59pm
Never mind then.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 11:01pm
Okay.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 11:05pm

<< I know a few illegal immigrants who are here, working, and getting some aid. >>

Oh, the old "I know some, but I won't turn them in" story. I find it fascinating how many people know the immigration status as well as the financial and health situation of so many people and how they are cheating the system, yet they never turn them in and they can't post actual numbers and types of aid these so-called cheaters are getting.

I am aware that illegal aliens are treated in emergency rooms on an emergent basis.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 11:11pm

(I am aware that illegal aliens are treated in emergency rooms on an emergent basis.)

And they are also given very nice state of the art hospital beds to have their anchor babies too. All on the dime of the taxpayer. They know this and they plan accordingly. ;-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 11:19pm
It's not a story, it's factual. Some of the people that I'm referring to are day laborers and do lawn care on the side. So I'll disregard your sarcasm, just because I know some of them. So when you asked for proof, I'm seeing it on a daily basis. It's you who can not refute the facts of illegal immigrants being a burden on US tax dollars. You kept asking for facts, when every rational person knows this, this has been a highly debated topic in the news over and over. It's you who seemingly needs to brush up on current events and even if it is for an emergency, is that supposed to negate that it's coming from tax payers dollars?

Edited 6/1/2010 11:24 pm ET by pbe2010

Pages