Non-English speaking citizens?

iVillage Member
Non-English speaking citizens?
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 2:51pm

I know this may raise a heated debate, but I'm a naturalized citizen and my mom is also, she is from Japan and has been in this country for nearly 40 years. She had to pass the citizen exam, so at some point she had to read, write and speak English to pass.

My issue is with citizens like her that only learned enough English to pass that exam. Now she can barely read English, can't spell basic words without difficulty, and can barely speak English. I love her, but she can't survive without relying on others. I have tried to get her to work to improve her communication, but I feel she doesn't want to.

Does anyone feel that there should be some type of citizen review, maybe every 10 years, that as long as the person is of sound mind, able body, that they should have to go through some type of review to ensure that they still know enough English to be self-sufficient? This is a serious question, because I see how some people who don't speak English get over on the system.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 1:40pm

<>

Thank-you Jane. You said EXACTLY what I was going to say )....so now I don't have to....particularly about first/second generation and the typical timeline for language aquisition. The part about maybe feeling put upon by a dependant mother was bang on too. Mine was very dependant upon me for

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 1:54pm
It doesn't place a burden on me anymore, she's being shipped back to Japan to live. I'm simply speaking on instances like hers where those naturalized citizens that don't want to be self-sufficient, so when they're forced to be, life is too hard for them to stand on their own, because of their reluctance to obtain any additional education.

Edited 6/2/2010 2:00 pm ET by pbe2010
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 1:57pm
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 1:57pm
No, it's merely wishful thinking that the government would implement something like this. I know it would never happen. Yes, it would have made my life more bearable with helping her to have become more self-sufficient, but people only will do what they truly want to do.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 2:05pm

<>

Yes, that's probably in her best interest.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 2:12pm

First off (other than being pretty harsh and totalitarian) this is a moot point as the USA doesn't even have an official language....so how can

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 2:34pm

The official language is supposed to be English, but it doesn't always seem to be that way, especially when most Americans call most companies on the phone. The typical automated phone system will begin with, press 1, for English, press 2, for Spanish. I stared in on that, but that's another topic in itself as to why the second official language is Spanish.

I understand your point, but mine is merely to help enforce learning, but it is wishful thinking, because people would have to want to learn. I have long stopped being a crutch for her, because I was trying to get her to become self-sufficient, but is never going to happen. She went from leaning on me for help with everything and I do mean everything to asking anyone for help. Help to write a check, help to call her bank to check her balance, help to write bills, etc. This is why I was thinking this would help someone like her that hasn't wanted to go to school or seek out any additional education.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 2:37pm

<>

Uh oh...LOL.

How about requiring everyone take

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 2:48pm
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 2:53pm

"I find it fascinating how many people know the immigration status as well as the financial and health situation of so many people and how they are cheating the system, yet they never turn them in "

What's the point?

http://www.denverpost.com/haley/ci_15034457

"Before, every agency told stories of stopping a van packed with a dozen illegal immigrants, calling ICE and then being forced to let them go. And the number of overall deportations has gone up...

Consider Francis Hernandez. He had been arrested more than a dozen times before causing a car accident in 2008 that killed three people, including a 3-year-old child in an ice cream shop in Aurora.

No one knew for sure that he was in the country illegally, despite all of those run-ins with police. He never had a driver's license. He ignored dozens of warrants for his arrest for failure to appear in court. And when they ran his name through crime databases, dozens of aliases would show up."

Pages