Non-English speaking citizens?

iVillage Member
Non-English speaking citizens?
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 2:51pm

I know this may raise a heated debate, but I'm a naturalized citizen and my mom is also, she is from Japan and has been in this country for nearly 40 years. She had to pass the citizen exam, so at some point she had to read, write and speak English to pass.

My issue is with citizens like her that only learned enough English to pass that exam. Now she can barely read English, can't spell basic words without difficulty, and can barely speak English. I love her, but she can't survive without relying on others. I have tried to get her to work to improve her communication, but I feel she doesn't want to.

Does anyone feel that there should be some type of citizen review, maybe every 10 years, that as long as the person is of sound mind, able body, that they should have to go through some type of review to ensure that they still know enough English to be self-sufficient? This is a serious question, because I see how some people who don't speak English get over on the system.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:03pm

I'm in total agreement about the benefts of learning and with 8 years of post-secondary education under my belt I am also a strong proponent of lifelong learning. In a perfect world, everyone would agree and act accordingly. I also thank you for posting such an interesting (despite being so controversial) thread.

I must ask you though, if what you are proposing is an attempt to save tax-payers money how does all this extra testing, administration and tracking

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:07pm

"And you don't understand, do you, that some immigrants who cannot afford health insurance in this country help pay for the health care of U.S.-born citizens, do you? "

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:11pm

<>

If you stopped helping her perhaps she would come to realize just how important it is. I do know

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:24pm

"And one person's "affordable" fee is another person's burden that takes money away from food or medicine or heat or housing."

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:26pm

I never said to call ICE. Call whatever agency is supposedly being duped by the illegal alien. All the welfare agencies make it easy to report fraud.

Reminds me of the "I don't vote because it just doesn't matter," yet a lot of those people scream the loudest.

<> <>

And again the insults. Back on ignore.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:28pm

<<It doesn't place a burden on me anymore, she's being shipped back to Japan to live. >>

Wow...OK. So....she made a choice that wasn't in her best interest

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:31pm

"Why wouldn't you report them, especially if it bothers you? If it's not your responsibility, whose is it?"

It's ICE's responsibility to deport and they have a strong record of not responding, go figure.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:33pm

"The government cannot tell you to get an education, unless it passes a law that requires you to have an education."

Funny how liberals do things. No law requiring someone to educate themselves, but they are required by law to purchase health insurance. It appears liberals want stupid people live as long as possible.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:37pm

"People who won't report such lawbreakers have no business griping about the expense."

Interesting set of rights

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 3:42pm

Officially and legally the United States has never actually declared English as their

Pages