Non-English speaking citizens?

iVillage Member
Non-English speaking citizens?
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 2:51pm

I know this may raise a heated debate, but I'm a naturalized citizen and my mom is also, she is from Japan and has been in this country for nearly 40 years. She had to pass the citizen exam, so at some point she had to read, write and speak English to pass.

My issue is with citizens like her that only learned enough English to pass that exam. Now she can barely read English, can't spell basic words without difficulty, and can barely speak English. I love her, but she can't survive without relying on others. I have tried to get her to work to improve her communication, but I feel she doesn't want to.

Does anyone feel that there should be some type of citizen review, maybe every 10 years, that as long as the person is of sound mind, able body, that they should have to go through some type of review to ensure that they still know enough English to be self-sufficient? This is a serious question, because I see how some people who don't speak English get over on the system.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 2:47pm

<<Probably get thru faster and the companies usually hire bilingual Spanish speaking.>>

Good idea. When I returned to school to take Graphic Design, the English program was full, so I took it in French.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 2:41pm

So she isn't "being shipped off" to Japan, she's shipping herself off. I hope she is happier (hopefully there's still some family and friends there). Sometimes when one gets older they like the comfort of the familiar....A place where

Community Leader
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 6:00am

" You must have just graded a bunch of essays and couldn't understand them with all the txt tlk and lack of basic English writing skills!"

Actually I got a note from a parent- a professional in our community- who was angry that as a social studies teacher I graded an essay with two scores: content and standards of ELA. Believe me, his 7th grader writes better than he did.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 9:16pm
I think from now on when i call a number and it says to press 2 for spanish, i'm going to, then speak English. Probably get thru faster and the companies usually hire bilingual Spanish speaking. Plus they are easier to understand than the Indian people they hire for the English speaking option...
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 9:11pm
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 9:03pm

wow, love the bit that says..

"Once on the other side of the river they walked for two hours in search of a better life and free medical care for their unborn child.

"Do many women in Mexico make the choice to have their children in the United States?" Pitts asked.

"Yes," she said through a translator. "I know people who have done that. Things are much better here in the U.S. because they help children so much more."

It's a "better" life ... that American taxpayers help pay for.

Take healthcare for example -- an estimated $1.1 billion per year for undocumented men, women and children, according to the Rand Corporation."

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 8:50pm
*LMAO* You must have just graded a bunch of essays and couldn't understand them with all the txt tlk and lack of basic English writing skills!!! But it is OK, let your frustrations out..hahahahahaha!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 5:37pm

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 4:47pm

Hi Tom,

No, again, I was not implying revoking citizenship, but a review that would help to enforce learning. Although, I know that it is wishful thinking. I'm not sure of the actual stats of naturalized citizens that fall under this category. I can only speak for what I've encountered. My mom has been this way for at least 30 years. She didn't always have the same views of not wanting to learn. She was excited to learn English back then. Some of her friends all mostly speak Japanese and don't speak English, so it's the same behavior with them. They rely on their spouses or children for assistance to get things done.

Edited 6/2/2010 4:49 pm ET by pbe2010
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 4:23pm

Pages