Canuck libs raise a generation of losers

iVillage Member
Canuck libs raise a generation of losers
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 6:34am

It's no wonder we have to fight their battles for them...

"Win a soccer game by more than five points and you lose, Ottawa league says'

"In yet another nod to the protection of fledgling self-esteem, an Ottawa children’s soccer league has introduced a rule that says any team that wins a game by more than five points will lose by default.

The Gloucester Dragons Recreational Soccer league’s newly implemented edict is intended to dissuade a runaway game in favour of sportsmanship. The rule replaces its five-point mercy regulation, whereby any points scored beyond a five-point differential would not be registered.

Kevin Cappon said he first heard about the rule on May 20 — right after he had scored his team’s last allowable goal. His team then tossed the ball around for fear of losing the game.

He said if anything, the league’s new rule will coddle sore losers.

“They should be saying anything is possible. If we can get five goals really fast, well, so can the other team,” said Kevin, 17, who has played in the league for five years. “People grow in adversity, they don’t really get worse…. I think you’ll see more leadership skills being used if a losing team tries to recuperate than if they never got into that situation at all.”

Kevin’s father, Bruce Cappon, called the rule ludicrous.

“I couldn’t find anywhere in the world, even in a communist country, where that rule is enforced,” he said.

Mr. Cappon said the organization is trying to “reinvent the wheel” by fostering a non-competitive environment. The league has 3,000 children enrolled ranging in age from four to 18 years old.

“Everybody wants a close game, nobody wants blowouts, but we don’t want to go by those farcical rules that they come up with,” he said. “Heaven forbid when these kids get into the real world. They won’t be prepared to deal with the competition out there.”

Paul Cholmsky, whose four- and six-year-old boys play in the league, said the intended goal of a default-lose rule might backfire in teaching life skills.

“If there’s one team that’s consistenly dominant and one team that’s not, well, that’s life,” he said.

Mr. Cholmsky said he would be in favour of temporarily handicapping a team, for example reducing the number of players on the field, over ensuring a team loss for a high score differential.

According to the league’s new rules, coaches of stronger teams are encouraged to deter runaway games by rotating players out of their usual positions, ensuring players pass the ball around, asking players to kick with the weaker foot, taking players off the field and encouraging players to score from farther away.

Club director Sean Cale said he is disappointed a few parents are making the new soccer rule overshadow the community involvement and organizing the Gloucester club does.

“The registration fee, rergardless of the sport, does not give a parent the right to insult or belittle the organization,” he said. “It gives you a uniform, it gives you a team.”

Mr. Cale said the league’s 12-person board of directors is not trying to take the fun out of the game, they are simply trying to make it fair. The new rule, suggested by “involved parents,” is a temporary measure that will be replaced by a pre-season skill assessment to make fair teams.

“The board is completely volunteer-run and we do the best that we can to provide a good, clean, fun soccer experience for everyone,” he said.

Although parents are fuming, he said the commotion is coming from “about 1% of the parents.”"

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06/01/win-a-soccer-game-by-more-than-five-points-and-you-lose-ottawa-league-says/

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-20-2010 - 6:18pm

>>> Thanks for posting that the rule was rescinded. I agree it was a dumb one, but the conservatives here sure got in a tizzy here over, what? A KID'S soccer league? Sheesh!

Sure...a liberal attack on children is worth getting in a tizzy over. It was just another example of liberals forcing mediocrity onto both society and the children with their "spread the wealth" mentality.

>>> Our DS played soccer throughout HS, in two of the most competitive leagues in the state, and one of his coaches told the guys to kick only with the weaker foot once they had a good lead. If they didn't follow his direction, he pulled them off the field. We parents had no problem at all with that.

Another perfect example.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-20-2010 - 9:27pm

Another example of what?

If you think a coach's demanding that a player use his weaker foot is forcing mediocrity, then you do not understand the beautiful game.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-21-2010 - 12:17am

>>> Another example of what?

Liberals indoctrinating children to aspire to mediocrity.

>>> If you think a coach's demanding that a player use his weaker foot is forcing mediocrity, then you do not understand the beautiful game.

LOL! Oh...ok. You ever actually play the "beautiful game?" Ever had a coach tell you NOT to do your best? That "beautiful" notion is as absurd as the Canadian soccer stupidity.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 12:24pm

I'd still have issues with that (if it's to deliberately handicap talented kids to prevent them from doing tooo well compared to their peers)....HowEVER what's not immediately apparent in this case,

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 12:34pm
<>

So do I (both side of the aisle has their share of kooks)....Doesn't mean I condone kooks and it CERTAINLY doesn't mean that this gives me license to be one too.

Making broad sweeping generalizations

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 12:53pm

>>>>> <>
Which ones are those? <<<<<

I see that no one was actually able to answer this question.

I love the way the OP premises the entire thread this way and then to top it all off, goes on to attribute the actions of a

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 1:00pm

Yeah, because it

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 1:16pm

<>

And that's why neither the players or the parents had a problem with the "weaker foot rule". Thanks for pointing that out for some here who are unfamiliar with the game. I don't know that the coach ever explained it like that, but I'm sure that he sought to challenge his players , while mitigating the embarrassment of the losing team. (What coach does not admire a two-footed player like Robinho on the weekend--wasn't he awesome?)The rule applied to everyone on the team, and never only to an individual player. And if the lead narrowed, naturally he would tell them to return to using both feet.

Edited 6/22/2010 1:17 pm ET by janetlz

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 1:49pm
Or some people are still smarting from Canada handing the US a defeat in Hockey. LOL
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 1:55pm

<>

Well he probably should or else he'll be mistaken for a liberal or worse....a *gasp* Canadian (and everybody KNOWS