Does anyone Remember the CCC?

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Does anyone Remember the CCC?
12
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 2:35pm
The CCC was a government program that put 3 million back to work.
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_Conservation_Corps

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-15-2007
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 9:56pm

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-19-2010
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 6:44pm

( What I also wrote was “However, the reason for higher unemployment is because there is a surplus of labor. That is there had been a decline in the number of jobs available and the number of people who want jobs now is greater than the number of jobs being offered.” ))

I agree. However, a government program that takes taxpayer money to put unemployed people to work doesn't wash in my opinion. It is true that the 'newly' employed folks will have money to spend, however, this money came from other people's pockets....now they have less money to spend.

The economics of this just don't work, IMO.

( PS I’m interested in your name. Do you own a spotted pony?)

Yes. :)

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-15-2007
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 5:09pm

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-19-2010
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 3:29pm

( Your last paragraph about there being plenty of jobs in AZ and CA picking produce and that it’s much easier to sit back and wait for that unemployment check, seems to imply that unemployment is now higher than it was in 2007 because workers have gotten lazier.)

I didn't say they got lazier. However, with the never ending tax payer funded unemployment checks coming their way....they are being VERY choosy and seem to be very willing to turn down jobs to see what else might come their way.

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/man-receiving-unemployment-benefits-refuses-over-a-dozen-job-offers-yftt_535306.html;_ylt=AqUakhnHkG1PrtrUoLm7Nu7eba9_;_ylu=X3oDMTFnYzBpNzJwBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNjb250ZXh0dWFsLXRlY2h0aWNrZXIEc2xrA21hbnJlY2VpdmluZw--

Man Receiving Unemployment Benefits Refuses Over A Dozen Job Offers

Posted Aug 09, 2010 12:23pm EDT by Vincent Fernando in

Provided by the Business Insider, August 9, 2010:

The U.S. unemployment situation becomes ever more complex the more you dig into it.

It's far from simply a problem of there not being enough jobs for people to do.

In fact, since the middle of 2009 the number of job openings has risen at twice the rate of actual hires, according to the Wall Street Journal. Despite the massive pool of unemployed Americans, there's a growing number of unfilled positions.

Shouldn't the glut of jobless Americans be immediately filling any available job as it appears?

Well, it's not happening that way. Many companies are actually having a hard time filling open positions, and there are many factors at play behind this.

One reason is that higher-skill positions can't find enough higher-skilled Americans. After all, while there's a glut of unemployed lower-educated Americans, higher-educated Americans remain decently employed. Another issue is that Americans stuck with underwater mortgages, ie. who owe more than their home is worth, aren't able to move for potential jobs. That's a fair excuse.

Yet beyond the two factors above, many Americans continue to enjoy the luxury of choice, despite being long-term unemployed:

WSJ:

Some workers agree that unemployment benefits make them less likely to take whatever job comes along, particularly when those jobs don't pay much. Michael Hatchell, a 52-year-old mechanic in Lumberton, N.C., says he turned down more than a dozen offers during the 59 weeks he was unemployed, because they didn't pay more than the $450 a week he was collecting in benefits. One auto-parts store, he says, offered him $7.75 an hour, which amounts to only $310 a week for 40 hours.

"I was not going to put myself in a situation where I was making that small of a wage," says Mr. Hatchell. He has since found a better-paying job at a different auto-parts dealer.

It's not that there aren't opportunities, it's that there aren't opportunities that match many Americans' expectations:

At Emirates, four cabin-crew job fairs the airline held in Miami, Houston, San Francisco and Seattle attracted an average of about 50 people each, compared to a global average of about 150 and as many as 1,000 at some events in Europe and Asia. "I would have liked to have seen more and would have expected to see more," says Rick Helliwell, vice president of recruitment.

The jobs require little more than a high-school diploma and fluency in English. They include free accommodation and medical care, and starting pay of about $30,000 a year. Mr. Helliwell speculates that Americans might be hesitant to move to Dubai, where the jobs are based. "Maybe they have less of an adventurous spirit" given the uncertainties they face at home, he said.

This is just one example, but tons of people around the world would die for an opportunity like this. You go through the grind for a few years, with one of the best airline brands, then find something that better fits your other life needs once you have some experience. It can lead to decent opportunities and global experience, especially for someone with only a high school diploma.

Yet it received a tiny amount of interest despite the massive pool of unemployed Americans. Which makes one wonder what kind of economic downturn this is. It certainly isn't anything like the American depression given unemployed Americans' ability to be picky.

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-2010
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 5:01pm

>>> Humans can learn, they adapt,they can grow,therefore nothing is impossible.

Right...but if a stockbroker was going to become a cable installer, or a mid-level manager was going to build bridges, it would have happened by now. Did it? Right...no.

>>> 90% of the work is semiskilled.

Semi-skilled would be the generic term. They are "skilled" at the jobs they did...which is why you don't see stockbrokers building bridges.

>>> There are plenty of engineers to supervise. Humans have been building bridges for thousands of years, It is then not surprising that they can do other things the stock broker bring learned skills that can be utilized in other areas of endeavor. Many who quit have found new niche for themselves.

Yeah...humans have been building bridges for thousands of years...the bridge builders...not the butcher or the sheep herder. Come back to reality.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 1:31pm
Humans can learn, they adapt,they can grow,therefore nothing is impossible. 90% of the work is semiskilled. There are plenty of engineers to supervise. Humans have been building bridges for thousands of years, It is then not surprising that they can do other things the stock broker bring learned skills that can be utilized in other areas of endeavor. Many who quit have found new niche for themselves.

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


iVillage Member
Registered: 02-15-2007
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 10:29am

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-2010
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 6:44am

>>> Cable is easy to teach. It is the labor that needs some brains but many of the unemployed are not the uneducated. Many have skills that translate in to other areas.

Oh, right...all of those stockbrokers who have the skills to build bridges.

>>> Remember all those construction workers out of jobs? Training yes but that may have a long term positive effect as a person's skill level expands their job fit expands too.

So you think that someone who has the skills to frame a house or install electrical in a building can just walk across the street and build a road or retrofit a bridge? Wow.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-25-2010
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 3:38am
Cable is easy to teach. It is the labor that needs some brains but many of the unemployed are not the uneducated. Many have skills that translate in to other areas. Remember all those construction workers out of jobs? Training yes but that may have a long term positive effect as a person's skill level expands their job fit expands too.

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos


iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-2010
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 1:48am

>>> Well I disagree. There are miles of cable for broadband,cell phone towers,high speed trains,bridges, highways that need repair or replacement.

And which of our millions of unemployed are going to repair or replace those miles of cable or build those bridges? The stockbrokers or the sales person from some small business?

>>> Yes some of the jibs are specialized it is not as easy to pick fruit as one thinks or tote bailed hay.

And yet, you want these unskilled folks building bridges and high-speed trains? Seriously? I hope it's not a bridge near me.

>>> A lot needs to be done that can be done that is not being done while we in this country have the opportunity to do we should do.

We've seen all of those "shovel-ready" jobs...oops...that's right, we haven't. And that's because there are very few jobs of that nature available.

>>> We will soon start to have troops returning we need employment and we need to regain what made us strong. We have become too greedy. And too insensitive and too cheap.

Ridiculous.

Pages