And the Gop started this economic mess

iVillage Member
And the Gop started this economic mess
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 3:58am

From an article: It seems that back in the Nixon era some decisions were made that also had a impact;
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/reagan-insider-gop-destroyed-us-economy-2010-08-10?siteid=e2eaol

Add to the great society of Johnson(welfare)
Which would not have been so bad if we had kept the course of the original bill.
Then the corporate take over craze.
and then:
http://www.alternet.org/economy/147780/tax_cuts_for_the_rich_are_pure_theft?page=2

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 10:27am
Agreed.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 9:03am

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 8:56am

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 8:33am
I dont think finger pointing does any good. I think we all want to know who has the ideas and talent to get us out of this mess and i dont think it is the likes of Chris Dodd, Charlie Rangle, Nancy Pelosi and the other dinosaurs in the senate and house. These people have made fortunes and squirreled them away and have accumulated fat pensions and benefits that we pay for while there are areas in the country nearing 20% unemployment - in Pelosis own state - and we are burdened with 2000 pg legislation and mandates and taxes. The most secure jobs and some of the best paying ones are in government instead of the private sector. I dont think government jobs were meant to be a better option than private jobs and i dont think 'public service' was ever mean to be a career that went on for 20-30 years.
We need to look straight at what is draining our economy - out of control government spending, out of control illegal immigration, overtaxed small businesses and over regulation of large business that sends companies overseas.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 7:23pm

I welcome your writing. A "stable economy that marginalizes million is not sustainable. The revolt is coming. People are being crushed. By the additional costs and regulations and greed.
Macro economics perhaps but micro economics are horrid. The increase in cost of living coupled with inadequate income have brought many to desperation.
Yes historically It is short term Unless you are one that experiencing it first hand then that short term is very real. And very frustrating. If you the one who needs medical care now but cannot afford it it is real up front and personal.
Looking long term intellectually there is the problem of missing the plight of many who are caught without hope. There could be but for the bigotry(socioeconomic and other).
Looking at things for each different stand point had errors inherent to where the person is standing and truth also.
>>>. Just look at all the items that are on sale in the stores, even during the recession.<<<<
This is in error the inventories are down not up and more retail are going to push urgency buying as they only order a few of an item
In 1990 the gap would have many racks of merchandise today the store is virtually empty. (I was in retail and may have an advantage of seeing the difference)
Inflation is down and fortunately that is true.
>>>>hile improvements in income have gone more to the higher income groups, I believe that all income groups have seen their real incomes improve.<<<<<<<<<

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/national/pi/pinewsrelease.htm

Reading the figures sounds good until one factors out unemployment. Difficulty in obtaining housing. Real availability of housing at a reasonable cost.

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 5:30pm