More on CBO

iVillage Member
More on CBO
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 2:33pm

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: tom_j_g
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 8:21pm

Interesting. I thought of you when I saw TP leader Dick Army today on CSPAN. You do know he was the Speaker of the House, top Republican in the House of Representatives, right? The discussion touched on such topics as how the TP candidates run in the Republican Primaries. At one point a caller from Louisiana accused Dick Army of being a tool for the Chamber of Commerce. In response Dick Army basically maligned the State of Louisiana.

You are way off base if you think the TP is somehow not led by conservative Republicans or that there are a significant percentage of Democratic members in the face of this and more importantly all the other facts I mentioned.

"(....a mass of fiscal irresponsibility - free money unfunded massive tax cuts coupled with no explanation of how we will pay for them or what we will cut in government spending.)
Gee...that sounds just like the Obama administration and the current democrats....LOL!"

I don't follow your logic. President Obama is not proposing massive unfunded tax cuts. He is proposing to reverse them. He knows its time to start cleaning up the Republican fallout mess and paying for our government again (like the last Democratic President Clinton did) instead of hocking it so future generations have to pay for it.

And your comment also shows a lack of understanding of fiscal policy. Deficits are a helpful stimulus during recessions. During upswings they weaken our fiscal stability and ability to withstand the next cyclical recession. The BTPR (Bush Tea Party Republicans) do not get this. Coincidence that it was a Democratic President, JFK, that famously said timing is everything?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 8:41pm

(President Obama is not proposing massive unfunded tax cuts. He is proposing to reverse them. ))

He is proposing a reversal for the "rich" people only. Everyone else gets to 'keep' their Bush tax cuts. What was Obama saying about 95% of Americans getting a tax cut again?

(He knows its time to start cleaning up the Republican fallout mess and paying for our government again (like the last Democratic President Clinton did) instead of hocking it so future generations have to pay for it.)

You're joking, right? He has spent more money that ALL other presidents COMBINED! His TRILLION dollar "stimulus" flop was not paid for....added to the deficit for our children and grandchildren to pay for.

(And your comment also shows a lack of understanding of fiscal policy.)

That's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about YOUR comments.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 9:08pm

Who is joking?

The BTPR (Bush Tea Party Republicans) are up in arms because President Obama dares not to continue their precious massive unfunded tax cuts for the rich. And I congratulate you. Most Republicans try to gloss over the fact that President Obama will not raise taxes for 95% of Americans. That fact hurts their efforts to enlist those ordinary people to their cause.

You do not understand that fiscal stimulus is warranted during a depression. Clinton did it in the early 1990s. Republicans predicted the same doom. Then after Clinton got us out of the recession he lowered the size of our debt relative to the size of our economy and left with a large government surplus.

PS If you really cared about deficits and fiscal responsibility you would be railing against Reagan and the Bush's who skyrocketed our deficits and debt.

Edited 8/18/2010 11:08 pm ET by conceivedinliberty
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 10:07pm

(And I congratulate you. Most Republicans try to gloss over the fact...))

Did you read someplace where I said I was a republican? Or are you just assuming?

(You do not understand that fiscal stimulus is warranted during a depression. )

Were we in a depression?

(Clinton did it in the early 1990s.)

We were in a depression in the 90's? Clinton did it in completely different times. It worked.

Obama's stimulus....didn't work.

All we have from Obama's trillion dollar waste is staggering debt and high unemployment.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:20pm

Recession, depression, call it what you want. Bush left us in the worst financial downturn since the Great Depression.

It took Clinton's stimulus more than two years to right the economy, as you admit he did. How do you know Obama's similar stimulus won't work when we haven't even reached the two year mark?

As for your political affiliation, that's your business. But remember sharing this tidbit about shoving things down throats and anger?:

"It is the Obama administration that routinely goes against the will of the people. He continues to push his agenda down the throats of Americans when they have stated that is not what they want, and is clearly showing he is not a leader for the people of this nation. He has succeeded in dividing this nation further than what was ever considered possible. America is angry with his decisions and policies, but he doesn't seem to care and does what he wants anyway. He's a terrible leader, IMO."

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-elpoliticsto/?msg=

By the way, why aren't you similarly angry about Republican Presidents since Nixon always "shoving" debt "down our throats", to use your language? If you care about fiscal stability why aren't you as vocal and negative against Republicans as you are against Democrats? Both increase spending at the same rate at the national level. And the ones who rack up the debt are, I'll give you a hint, not the Democrats.

Edited 8/19/2010 8:35 am ET by conceivedinliberty
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:41pm

(( How do you know Obama's similar stimulus won't work when we haven't even reached the two year mark?)

Let's see...if we didn't pass the TRILLION dollar stimulus, Obama told us that unemployment would soar to 8.5% Hmmm.......

If we didn't pass the TRILLION dollar healthcare legislation our premiums would continue to skyrocket. My premiums continue to skyrocket as well as everyone elses.....hmmmmm

I don't see things turning around any time soon. Do you?

(If you care about fiscal stability why aren't you as vocal and negative against Republicans as you are against Democrats?)

Let's see....the president is a ......DEMOCRAT
Senate is controlled by...............DEMOCRATS
House is controlled by................DEMOCRATS

Democrats = uncontrollable spending, massive debt, high unemployment.

It would seem silly to be vocal against a party that ISN"T in control of anything. What happened to "hope and change"???

( And the ones who rack up the debt are, I'll give you a hint, not the Republicans.)

I know.

Pages