the right to health

iVillage Member
the right to health
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 12:36pm
Question. Why do you think health care is a right? If you do, then doesn't that right extend to people in utero and to the 85 year olds? Or just to those who contribute to society?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 10:19am

<< We cannot afford the high costs required to treat the elderly, yet our society rejects euthanasia, with which many blinder-wearing conservatives equate living wills >>

I'm not sure that really is a conservative viewpoint. Euthanasia clearly falls on the far end of a spectrum where most of Americans don't want to go. Living wills are relatively benign but as a healthcare provider, I also find them essentially useless. We really need to have more open discussions in politics and amongst our families regarding end of life care issues.

From another thread somewhere we see that a serious problem we encounter is with unrealistic expectations. Especially at the end of life and when the perception that it is FREE.

BTW no problem here with insurance reform but don't think the recent legislation really addresses this.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 12:59pm

"1) "The average health care expense in 2002 was $11089 per year for elderly people but only $3352 per year for working-age people (ages 19-64)". "

It really is too bad that the Boomer generation failed to contribute enough to SS to cover their own costs, but that is their problem, not others. Besides, the echoboomers, Xers and other generations aren't demographically large enough to support the

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 1:52pm

"Well, one of the formative documents of our nation, quoted frequently here, states that we all have the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Since health care is necessary to what we all hold to be a normal length of life, I'd say that it falls under that first right."

So we have the right to food?

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 1:55pm
I believe we have public education because our government decided to impose a mandate upon the populace; namely that children be educated.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 2:10pm

Well, yes, if by "government" you mean one of our Founding Fathers, Thomas Jefferson.

http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff1370.htm

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 2:52pm

Thomas Jefferson had a plan.

Did he impose it on the citizenry? I don't believe education of children was mandatory in his lifetime.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 2:57pm
Oh, well, that makes all the difference in the world.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 3:08pm
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 3:43pm
My kids current pursuit of happiness requires a really good gaming rig, Windows 7, solid state hard drives, with a great graphics card and a free subscription to World of Warcraft. When will we get Obamacraft?
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 3:44pm

Hey, we agree on something. Well, sort of. Those 80-somethings who refuse to retire really should make room at the top for the next generation. We all know that no one is irreplaceable.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news/economy/fidelity_401k_withdrawal/

The below-59ers making hardship withdrawals are truly suffering when they not only are out of a job, but also have to pay taxes and penalties on early withdrawals.

Some 65+ers do need to continue working, however, just to make ends meet. They may have no choice when their 401k accounts have not recovered since the 2008-2009 collapse and the values of their homes have plummeted.

And how does FreedomWork's proposal, to give workers a choice to invest in either SS or a private retirement account,look in light of what we are currently experiencing? I'd say it's time to be buried after seeing how retirement savings vanished from our 401k accounts, and how pension funds lost tons of money by investing in MBS.

As for the rest of your post--all but the last paragraph--I can't say I agree with any of it. While I am opposed to the principle of the individual mandate, I do not think the premiums will be so high for younger individuals that their "economic backs" will be broken.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

Pages