the right to health

iVillage Member
the right to health
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 12:36pm
Question. Why do you think health care is a right? If you do, then doesn't that right extend to people in utero and to the 85 year olds? Or just to those who contribute to society?

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 2:11pm

My quarterly healthcare premiums went up 28% last quarter. I am self-employed and purchase my own health insurance.

Thanks Obamacare!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 5:38pm

>And several of these gynecologists perform abortions?...and then discuss their patients with you?< One can discuss the issue without discussing private patient information.

>The only problem occurs when they accidentally break...which accounts for the less than 100% effectiveness.< Other problem is when it comes off inside the woman.

>And when that fails, just kill the baby. 100% effective...but since killing the baby is the issue, then folks should just accept that s*@! happens and accept responsibility for their actions.< Abortion is not a day in the park. It is accepting responsibility for one's actions. Just not YOUR idea of it, but since the vast majority of abortions happen in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy, and the average American does support abortion in the first trimester...

>They have other options to prevent pregnancy that don't involve extinguishing human life< And if you are including hormonal birth control in your definition of "baby killing", I'd say that you restrict them incredibly.

Sandy
Sandy
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 5:47pm

>What?!!! You mean that we don't provide free clinics on every block, door-to-door shuttle service and a free lunch? How selfish of us! And yeah, those free clinics do generally provide the same care most other clinics do...and if there's something they can't provide, the doctor there refers patients to a facility where they can get the proper care.<

I was just listening to Sebelius discuss how when she'd taken office as Governor of Kansas there were areas in her state where women, regardless of financial status, had to travel 200 miles for a mammogram. That tells me there's something wrong with the system.

>Add up the cost of insurance for all of the years you or your employer provided it but didn't use it and compare the costs. Unless it was something catastrophic, you probably came out ahead.< I've had 3 surgeries, treatment for foot problems (trials of being a dancer), and am a higher risk for breast cancer because I have a 1st degree relative diagnosed. So, I'd say that I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

So is food and housing...but I don't see you saying that other people should be providing it to you.< I'm fine. I can afford to pay my bills. So I don't think I'm the one I'm worried about. But there are others in this country who don't have the same luxury I have.

Sandy
Sandy
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 7:59pm

<>

Poppycock! I referred to them that way during each of my planned and very wanted 6 pregnancies. Facts re facts- leave the emotives out of law.

<>

Australia

Division 3 - Homicide: Suicide: Concealment of Birth: Abortion

156. When a child becomes a human being A child becomes a person capable of being killed when it has completely proceeded in a living state from the body of its mother, whether it has breathed or not and whether the umbilical cord is severed or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada
(Hansard Extract)

Currently a human being is defined in section 223(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada as follows: A child becomes a human being within the meaning of this Act when it has completely proceeded, in a living state, from the body of its mother, whether or not

(a) it has breathed,
(b) it has independent circulation, or
(c) the navel string is severed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA
In current United States law, at the moment of birth a biological being becomes a human being. By contrast, in declaring in 1973 that abortion is a permissible medical procedure, the U.S. Supreme Court said, "The unborn have never been recognized in the law as persons in the whole sense." (Hardin 1982:138) The transition to the status of full humanity is viewed not as a biological fact, but as a legal or cultural fact. There is a practical aspect pointed out by Retired Supreme Court Justice Tom Clark: the moment of birth is known, but the moment of conception is speculative. "...the law deals in reality not obscurity--the known rather than the unknown. When sperm meets egg, life may eventually form, but quite often it does not. The law does not deal in speculation." (Swomley 1983:1)

UK
DISCUSSION POINT: What is a human being?

What do the Courts say about this?

The courts have asked this question in relation to the foetus and a corpse. In this context the courts are very much guided by medical opinion, and less by moral principles. The central question they ask themselves is at what stage in the process of birth does a foetus become a person, and at what stage in the process of death does a person become a corpse. Essentially the courts have decided that foetuses and corpses are not persons.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 8:00pm
See above post :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 8:03pm

<>

A woman is seven times more likely to die in childbirth than during an abortion. Her call which risks she chooses to assume.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 8:07pm

<>

It's actually irrelevant what her reasons are- as that violates her privacy and medical care choices. Fact is, any number of those risks may or may not happen and she cannot be forced into one process and set of risks over another against her will.

<>

My right to autonomously administer my health care choices supersedes any developing zygote/embryo or fetus' perceived *right* to continue presenting risks to my health, body and life through continued gestation and birth, if I do not choose to assume those risks.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 10:00pm

>Your employer is undoubtedly preparing for the increased health care costs imposed by Obamacare. . .that is unless you are in a union, are a member of Congress or work there, are a member of the Obama administration -- then, Obama excluded you along with himself and his own family!<

My employer has been seeing double-digit increases in our health insurance costs for the last five years, and this particular change in payment for it was due to our old insurance company deciding to leave this particular market. We had to switch to a more expensive (but very good) carrier.

Sandy
Sandy
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 3:22am
<< Should health care be viewed as a "pursuit of happiness" issue?
Sandy>>
Thanks, That is the point of the original question.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 10:52am
No one has a right to food stamps, free schools lunches and other such programs, at least in my experience.

Pages