the right to health

iVillage Member
the right to health
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 12:36pm
Question. Why do you think health care is a right? If you do, then doesn't that right extend to people in utero and to the 85 year olds? Or just to those who contribute to society?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 6:48pm

>All you liberals and pro choice individuals endorse taking a defenseless life and sole, and yet say," Oh no death penalty is unconstitutional." Hippocrates!< Actually, I'm not against the death penalty. I just feel that we should be absolutely certain before we execute someone, since there's no way to fix it.

And yes, I do feel the same way about abortion. A woman should be certain before she has one. If she feels she might regret having the abortion later, she shouldn't have one.

Since you feel that a person is created at conception, I'd like to know if you stand against hormonal birth control and IUDs? Do you feel that what a woman does to herself from moment of conception should be regulated to protect the unborn?

Sandy
Sandy
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-01-2010 - 2:38pm

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 10:03pm
Come not the anti-abortion terrorists have had their way too long. women do not need anymore reason that they do not want to continue the pregnancy. The pill is easy and has had a lot of use the only reason it is not available is political demagoguery so the corporations and businesses would have a captive consumer base.
xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:29pm

Yes. I was pro-life. I changed my mind when I thought I might be pregnant before my biopsy.

And a friend was pro-choice through high school but became pro-life when he became a Republican to get elected to office.

Sandy
Sandy
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 5:24pm
Have you ever known anyone on either side of the abortion issue to change their mind?
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 5:14pm

>Again, the woman has not consulted HER doctor and the two of them have NOT made a decision that getting an abortion is a medical necessity done for the health of the woman.< I consider the surgeon I've seen thrice for my biopsy, for the pre-op, the surgery, and the post-op, to have been my doctor. Maybe you don't see it that way.

>If that was the procedure she chose, I'd get a second opinion.< It was the second option she had to take. Her first option that she tried involved using the pore of the milk duct to attempt to find the tissue that needed to be biopsied (very uncomfortable, which she insisted I be out for), and knew that if she couldn't find the tissue that way she would need to peel back the nipple. She knew what she was doing and worked to prevent nerve damage and serious scarring.

Sandy
Sandy
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 5:09pm

>So...um...you're saying that anyone who assigns a power of attorney, or leaves anything in a will, to someone who isn't their spouse can have that legal document overturned "just because?"< Not just "because" but because a family member will assert that blood is more important than non-legally binding relationships.

>It's surprising how many liberals vehemently support the notion that life is a disposable commodity.< Yes, so many liberals are hawks. And so many liberals support the death penalty. And so many liberals stand against universal health coverage. Perhaps liberals are more concerned with those who are living here right now than with those who have yet to be born.

>You can't just get a transplant just anywhere because the facilities and the professionals aren't available just anywhere...the same should be true of abortions. Only available in certain places with a lot of oversight.< 61% of all abortions are performed within the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, at a time when a medical abortion can easily and safely be administered. No abortion facility needed, no physician even, but my doctor could not prescribe the medication in her office to give to me if I needed one. I'd be required to go to an abortion clinic rather than having it done in the privacy of my doctor's office. Try again.

Sandy
Sandy
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 3:09pm

>How many times are you going to keep trotting out that lie? Very few women consult their doctors when they get abortions and very few are medically necessary. But then, maybe it's you you're trying to convince.<

>>> 38 states require that abortion be performed by a physician, even though a medical abortion (one involving medication and not surgery) could be performed by a nurse practitioner (as happens in Europe). 18 states require pre-abortion counseling. Of those 18, 6 states are required to inform women of the fictional breast cancer link.

And? Again, the woman has not consulted HER doctor and the two of them have NOT made a decision that getting an abortion is a medical necessity done for the health of the woman. So again..."How many times are you going to keep trotting out that lie? Very few women consult their doctors when they get abortions and very few are medically necessary. But then, maybe it's you you're trying to convince."

>Seems like going in at an angle would be a simple, less invasive, solution.<

>>> I trust that my surgeon knew what she was doing.

If that was the procedure she chose, I'd get a second opinion.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 3:04pm

>Strange how frequently it comes up when engaging liberals. LOL!<

>>> Strange how frequently conservatives lack the imagination to avoid invoking Godwin.

Or how frequently the comparisons are relevant to a liberal ideology.

>Not possible as long as the person drafting the documents is competent. Try again.<

>>> Try reading the state constitution of Virginia again. No contract giving any of the benefits of marriage is legal. Checked that one out with lawyers I know. They all say any individuals seeking to draft a will, medical or legal powers of attorney, child custody agreements, etc. better make sure their biological families are in accord with the documents if they provide the benefit to a person who is not the individual's spouse or biological relative. Otherwise, judges have a clear direction by the state constitution to nullify such documents.

So...um...you're saying that anyone who assigns a power of attorney, or leaves anything in a will, to someone who isn't their spouse can have that legal document overturned "just because?" Really? Try again. That would nullify the notion of private property and effectively declare everyone incompetent, and render them incapable of making their own decisions.

>I support the Church's position that all actions should be done to save life, not extinguish it.<

>>> So, then you do support the Church's position that the safest method for the woman, a medical abortion, is wrong and that a woman should have to have part of her reproductive system removed to achieve exactly the same ends--the termination of the dangerous pregnancy. At least you're pragmatic about birth control.

It's surprising how many liberals vehemently support the notion that life is a disposable commodity.

>You can't get a transplant at your local clinic, but people manage to survive by going to where these NECESSARY operations can be performed.<

>>> In part, you can't just get a transplant anywhere because you have to wait until the parts are available (with the exception of the few situations where animal parts can be used, like a pig heart valve.) Abortion does not have such requirements.

You can't just get a transplant just anywhere because the facilities and the professionals aren't available just anywhere...the same should be true of abortions. Only available in certain places with a lot of oversight.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:03am

>How many times are you going to keep trotting out that lie? Very few women consult their doctors when they get abortions and very few are medically necessary. But then, maybe it's you you're trying to convince.< 38 states require that abortion be performed by a physician, even though a medical abortion (one involving medication and not surgery) could be performed by a nurse practitioner (as happens in Europe). 18 states require pre-abortion counseling. Of those 18, 6 states are required to inform women of the fictional breast cancer link.

>Seems like going in at an angle would be a simple, less invasive, solution.< I trust that my surgeon knew what she was doing.

Sandy
Sandy

Pages