Thought Provoking Question

iVillage Member
Thought Provoking Question
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 2:27pm

Ok, here goes:

What is your political affiliation (if any), and what influenced you to chose it?

(if you don't "have" a political affiliation, tell us why and what brought you there, and tell us which you agree with most often)

Miffy - Co-CL For The Politics Today Board

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 2:55pm
During my college years (Reagan and Bush, Sr), I was a conservative Democrat, pro-choice. That changed to conservative pro-life Republican during the beginning of the Clinton years (having children changed me). I changed to conservative pro-life Independent at the beginning of his 2nd term. The issue of our national security is propelling me to re-elect Bush. I vote for conservative and pro-life candidates regardless of party affiliation as long as they take the same position as I do in important issues.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 3:04pm
I'm a liberal Democrat, pro-choice, and Anti-Bush 100%.

The last time anyone listened to a Bush, they were lost for 40 years!   Looks like we're doomed to "wander" ano

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 3:17pm
I am a pro-choice fiscal conservative Democrat. I will never vote for an anti-choice (that is what I call them) candidate (having a daughter reaffirmed that-I choose to have her, I didn't have to have her) but I will vote for a pro-choice Republican (and have) if his/her fiscal views match mine better than a Democratic candidate. I will also never vote for any candidate that attempts to bring his/her religion into policy-making. Very dangerous, imo.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 3:36pm
I was a centrist Republican for all my adult life.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 3:52pm

Sorry for the lame title, I should have said "Question of the Week", but everyone uses that.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 4:10pm
Thanks for the invite... registered Democrat, have been since 1974. It is probably safe to say my politics are left of center in most things. I could not vote in good conscience for Clinton on his second go round, his horrid treatment of women really bothered me. If I dare admit to it... this one wrote in Colin Powell. ;-)
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 4:35pm
I am a Republican and very proud of it! I think I came out of the womb a Republican. I grew up in a family that was very politically involved. I have a cousin who worked for Elizabeth Dole and Tilli Fowler and my grandfather, and 2 uncles also held local political positions. Actually one of my uncles (he married into the family) was a democrat, but we loved him anyway. When I was younger, I wasn't really involved in politics, but as I grew older and started having my family, I should become more concerned about who our President is. I am not religious in any way so my religion does not come into play. And it doesn't bother me one bit that President Bush is a man of faith. I used to be somewhat pro-choice, but after having my children, I am now totally pro-life (the only exception would be if the mothers life was in danger or if the baby would be suffering if born). I couldn't imagine ever terminating a life and not be able to see my baby grow up.

I am very nervous that if President Bush doesn't get re-elected that this country will become a haven for terrorists to do as they please to Americans with no reprecussions and that we will have to ask permission from the UN and France and Germany to defend ourselves. I am scared for my children if we do not have a strong leader who does what he says and really means it and doesn't just say things to get votes to become the next President.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 4:46pm
I recently came out of the closet and declared myself a Democrat. I was raised by Republicans and was actively interested in the Eisenhower campaign although I was way too young to vote and although Adlai Stevenson was a frequent guest in our home.

Growing up I was so naive I thought urban blacks lived in ghettos because they liked living that way.

I began to see the light during the civil rights uprisings, the anti war demonstrations and the early days of the women's movement. I stopped voting for Republicans at the national level when the party platform abandoned the ERA which they had supported for years.

Now I will not vote for any Republican at any level until the Party gets out of the clutches of the religious right and away from the Bush/Cheney war machine.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2004 - 4:59pm
I am a registered Independent.

My reasons for this are that while I side with many of the conservatives with regards to the government and fiscal spending (that was until GW Bush) I also tend to have more liberal viewpoints with regards to some social issues (I am against outlawing abortion, even though I am a Catholic....is that a sin?)

My previous votes:

Ford

Reagan

Reagan

Clinton

Dole (couldnt vote to re-elect Clinton after all of the scandals)

Did not vote in 2000 as I was out of country, and never received my absentee ballot.....I dont know who I would have voted for, but probably Bush as his campaign was more centrist.

2004???? Yet to be decided.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2004 - 5:12am
It is good to see you here!

Pages