To buy gas, I will give up __________?

iVillage Member
To buy gas, I will give up __________?
Fri, 05-07-2004 - 7:22am
In Chicago there are places that have gasoline at $2.40/gallon. I am in the suburbs and i am paying $2.10/gallon.

"The United States is calling on the OPEC cartel to calm prices by increasing output, as the Bush administration fears the fallout of higher energy costs in an election year."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=749&e=1&u=/nm/20040507/bs_nm/markets_oil_dc

Good, he should fear this. I do not care who the President is right now, I just would like lower gas prices. This effects everything not just gas consumers. It is a well-known fact that when gas prices go up so does everything else, because shippers have to pass along those costs they incur to someone.

"Leamer noted that a sharp rise in oil prices in 1998 and 1999 didn't derail the economy. In addition, one element of the economy -- namely, the oil industry -- gains when prices rise. San Ramon's ChevronTexaco, for example, last week reported record quarterly profit of $2.56 billion. <---(where do I get a job??? wink)

"This is a transfer from the pockets of some Americans into the pockets of others, like the oil companies and the people who work for them," Leamer said

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/05/06/BUGE46G8DF1.DTL

I was listening to Rush last week (yeah a democrat that listens to him, he makes me laugh so much), and he was talking about this. I guess it was a priest or minister that called in and said that perhaps becuase of the higher gas prices that people are giving less to the church. It started me thinking on what I have given up so I could either buy the gas needed or what I didnt do in order to save the gas I have.

The one thing I have given up is going to Chicago on a weekend basis. When it costs more to fill up my gas tank, than it does to pay for a spot in a parking garage($18 at Navy Pier, and it costs over $20 to fill the car) it just isnt worth it. I use about 1/4 a tank there and back which is about $5. So it costs me about $23 to purchase a $5 lemon shakeup, not to mention my family's desires to go to the Imax theatre and ride the really big and slow ferris wheel.

What about you? And what are gas prices in other countries?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2004 - 8:09am

<>

Hey Sondra, good question!

Miffy - Co-CL For The Politics Today Board

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2004 - 1:39am
I'm really lucky I operate my business from my home so don't have to drive a lot other then shuttling my child around, or running errands. One the average I'm using only about a half a tank a week, about $12.

But I have a friend I feel so sorry for.After months of looking for work she finally found a job about 35 miles away. So she's driving 70 miles a day. She's not making much more then minimum wage. The price of gas is about to make it impossible to get to work. Between paying for chld care and gas she's barely coming out ahead.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2004 - 10:11am
I dont know how she does it! I checked into public transportation to go to Chicago, and it costs more taking the train down than it does if I was to drive. I usually go to Indiana to buy gas (I live close to the border and my sister lives there) becuase it is usually 20 cents cheaper. Not any more I have found it at $1.99.

Something funny though, we have family in Dubai, U.A.E., and they say gas is always cheap there (they are an exporter of oil the country not the family *wink*)however, it is water that they pay a high price for.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2004 - 10:59am
Hi, I am from Pakistan. Let me tell you about the types of fuel used here in vehicles. We have petrol here which they also call "supreme" as it is of good quality. It is like Rs. 37/ltr. ($1 = Rs. 59 approx)The other fuel which is quite common is diesel. Mostly buses use them. If I am not wrong then it is "Hi-Octane" (chemcial name ;) ) . It is like Rs. 24/ltr. Then we have CNG. It is good quality gas. I am not sure about its prices but it is cheaper than petrol and there is also a lower quality of gas available which are mostly used by taxis and of course it is cheaper than CNG. Most people prefer petrol here as they say CNG or other gas causes lot of damage to the engine. Well I don't know :)
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2004 - 11:03am
To buy gas I will give up... George Bush in the White House.
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2004 - 2:15pm
AH HA HA HA!

Miffy - Co-CL For The Politics Today Board

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2004 - 10:55am

I won't have to give up anything.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2004 - 12:36pm

In the Netherlands the gas price is 1.25 euros per LTR. Someone else do the math please....LOL

I gave up my car many years ago. Not for the price of gas, but just because I don't need to own a car. We have a good public transport network of trains, buses, trams so you can pretty easily reach

Djie

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2004 - 2:02pm
You know, I think this is why the majority of Americans are overweight.. they use their car for everything instead of walking. To catch the bus in my city, I would have to walk about a mile and half along a highway with no sidewalk to catch it. From what I have heard, Europe is really set up as far as public transportation and convenience of getting around. Here, they would run you over and see how many points they have attained.. *wink*
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2004 - 1:42pm

I don't drive very often, but my son has been taking my car to school and back (approx. 2 miles a day) and it is driven short distances for big grocery trips and the like. If where I am going is within walking distance, then I walk. I live near Phoenix and it is getting hot, so I try to do my walking in the morning or evening...

Even though my car isn't used very much, I spend $10 a week for gas, which is a lot for me. Gas in Arizona is now $2.20 a gallon for the cheapest, near my home anyway.

I gave up Pepsi about 2 months ago for my health but it is saving money to put toward gasoline.

Michelle

Pages