Dancing? ........................

iVillage Member
Dancing? ........................
Sun, 12-05-2004 - 10:10am
Shaun Benson's (Steven) cast mates at General Hospital may want to think twice before they challenge him to a dance-off. Turns out the guy's been on his toes, studying ballet, since he was 11 years old. "My mom said, 'It's time for you to take some lessons, you can either take piano or ballet,'" shares Benson. "She really wanted me to take piano, so she gave me a ridiculous alternative." Like any clueless kid, Benson fell right into his mother's clever trap and chose to tickle the ivories — that is, until he saw someone bust a move during school hours. "We did some choreography while I was in class," he says. "I went back to my mum and said, 'I want to take dance.'" Mum was kind enough to let Benson make the switch, where he quickly learned that the most important position in the art is discipline. "I had this old British teacher, the one whose hips have been replaced, hitting the ground with her cane while we practiced," Benson recalls. "I was there to learn the craft, because it doesn't adapt to you. It was an interesting journey." Nowadays Benson mostly dances up a storm in the clubs. "I can hit the floor about 11 pm and I'll be done when they close down the house." Bouncers, be warned. If you ask Benson to leave before he's ready, he may show you his other moves. "I have a third-degree black belt in karate," he chuckles.

Co-web hostess at: Soap Dish

Proud CO Cl at: