Q & A w/ Ashley Jones

iVillage Member
Q & A w/ Ashley Jones
Mon, 12-20-2004 - 9:24pm

Ashley Jones

Ashley Jones

Ashley Jones
Bridget Forrester, The Bold and the Beautiful

Ashley Jones has pretty impressive credentials to take over the role of Bridget Forrester on The Bold and the Beautiful, which garnered its former portrayer, Jennifer Finnigan, three consecutive Daytime Emmys. Jones has already earned two Emmy nominations for her performance as Megan Dennison on The Young and the Restless. As she makes her B&B debut on Dec. 17, people are wondering if she can keep the winning streak alive. As the actress tells TV Guide Online, she's certainly ready to accept the challenge. — Delaina Dixon

Jennifer won three Emmys playing Bridget, and you've been nominated twice for your work on Y&R. Admit it, are you practicing an acceptance speech?
That is very kind of you to say. I never expected one on Y&R. I didn't have a huge, front-burner story, and I think so much of it depends on your story line. It's going to be a lot harder here. Jennifer and I were both in the under-25 group when we competed; now I would be competing in the Supporting Actress category. It's a whole different level of incredible talent. I'd actually be shocked if I was nominated, but it would be incredible, and I'm going to try to work and see what happens. An acceptance speech? Definitely not planning that yet.

Why did you decide to return to daytime?
I've worked consistently since I've left. I did prime time and appeared in movies like Old School. It was great getting to do those, but none of it was incredibly consistent. I'm newly married, and I want to work consistently. It's been in the back of my head this past year to return to daytime. I didn't think it would happen this fast. I'm working with Michael Bruno, a prominent soap manager. He said he'd take a look, and this came up. Bridget's even a more meaty character than I had at Y&R, and Jennifer's set the foundation for an incredibly complex character.

You don't have to familiarize yourself with your work surroundings, since the B&B studio is across the hall from Y&R. How does it feel to be back?
All these things that have changed, but they haven't. I feel very much at home, and that's a really nice feeling.

Is there anything you've forgotten about soaps that rushed back to you once you were on set?
The pace is one thing, the other thing is holding your look at the end of the scene before they cut to commercial. Usually after someone asks you a question in real life, you don't just say nothing and stare. But I think that's what makes soaps a challenge, not to play it like a stereotypical soap character. You want to play it as real as you can.

Did you get any advice from Jennifer about Bridget when you guest-starred on Crossing Jordan?
This job hadn't come up when I did it. I was thinking of going back to daytime, so we talked about that. It's very ironic. I feel I'm in her shadow in a weird way. I was on Jordan, then this. But I respect her so much. It's a great thing to come and follow in her footsteps.

What do you know about Bridget?
Her family tree is so extensive. The main thing I wanted to get down was her relationships with different people; who's her core family and whether it's blood or not. I know Ridge is not her brother, but she did have a crush on him, and that's something deeply rooted that she still has to deal with. She's totally in love with Ozzie; she left for Copenhagen to be with him and go to medical school.

How does she return to the scene?
She has three weeks off from school and she comes home to see her family. It's a break for her to catch her breath and figure out some things she's been struggling with so she can move on with a marriage to Ozzie.

Bridget has had a lot of men in her life: Ozzie, CJ, Deacon and Mark....
And there are some other men on the show she'll get involved with that you may not be thinking of and I can't mention yet. I think her relationship with Deacon turned at some point last year because he wanted her back. She made him a better person. It would be interesting to see how she deals with him, but I think the character has moved beyond him. He would have to show some major growth to ever win her back.

Since she's in medical school, have you been brushing up on your medical terminology?
She uses words and phrases that are more medical than the normal person uses, but it hasn't been anything too intricate yet. But I like to understand what I'm saying, so it's something I'm thinking about doing.

Since Y&R is right across the hall, will you ever slip across to make a cameo appearance?
We actually discussed that when I first started to talk about returning to daytime, but it never happened. I would have loved to go back to Y&R. I understand why it would have been tough — Megan doesn't have any family there anymore. The last time we saw her, she was really upset with her sister, Tricia; she was trying to get her to come and live with her. You saw me on a phone call from Boston quite a few times.

Maybe Megan could pop in for the holidays.
That would be fun.

Co-web hostess at: Soap Dish

Proud CO Cl at: