Just a Question:

iVillage Member
Just a Question:
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 3:50pm
... just a curious question -- Where in your house/apartment do you do your writing? Do you have your own private space, or do you have to share, is it in the middle of noise or is it peaceful? And what about windows? Who all gets to look out the window?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: dazer
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 2:29pm
OMG! What a delicious collection of writing venues! And the sounds! We are quite a bunch, are we not?

My computer is right inside my bedroom door, and literaly surrounded by STUFF! (This house is much too small for all that it is called upon to house.) I have to share my workspace with about half a dozen gamers, so.... However, I do most of my writing longhand, so I write sitting on the bed, or if its sunny and not too noisy, I work at the kitchen table. Anywhere works if I have a notebook handy. :-)

I listen to music all of the time, partially as a screen to the constant noise generated by kids and the TV, etc. What I listen to somewhat depends on what I am working on, but generally I listen to New Age, Classical, music that suggests certain ideas that I am writing about, and stuff that does NOT sing. Other words are distracting to me.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:10pm
Hi Dazer,

When I'm at home in London I write in the bedroom, as my partner has the use of the study for his work. The bedroom is large and my desk is next to the back door, which leads out into the garden. But I'm at a writer's colony now, where I have a wonderful large one bedroom apartment - all to myself! I have a whole studio adjoining the bedroom just for my desk and a row of windows which look out onto the woods. The sun shines pretty much all day through them and I am surounded by the sound of birdsong and squirrels chatting. It is a wonderful place to write. I shall miss it when I leave. I listen to Classical music when I'm creating.

Thanks, Juliette
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:49pm
My computer at the old hotel is in a small office in the middle of the flat upstairs. I keep thinking the room could be neater and more cozy but if I spent my time fixing it up I would spend less time writing. I also have writing notebooks in the kitchen and in the bedroom. At the forest house I just set up my computer in the living room. There is a small waterfall out the back window and some flower gardens out the front window. There are a couple of writing notebooks there also and one in the car. If I don't catch the thought when it happens it often is gone forever. I love to have music going, Chicago Jazz or Classical are my favorites.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 5:21pm
Hi everyone! What a great response to my question :)

For me, my computer is in the dining room, right inbetween my kitchen and living room. No window to look out of tho. I can make supper, watch TV, play with the kids, and be on the computer all at once :) So, the only time I have some peace and quiet is when the children are in bed.

But because I get up rather early in the morning, by the time the kids are in bed, I tend to fall asleep on the couch ... *groan*

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 5:13pm
In Feb. I checked out a book from the library that was all photographs of famous writer's desks. Oh my god....some of them blew me away, especially because I always secretly believed that if I had a better desk, I would write a whole lot more creatively (yes, I know...!!) Anyway, some sat on picnic benches, other's were so cluttered it made me cringe.

I guess the moral of the story is it's not where you work that counts!!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:53am
My computer is in the living room. That's right between the front door and the kitchen at the base of the stairs. In other words it is not peaceful by any stretch of the imagination unless it is very late at night. There is a nice big window that I keep open when it's daytime. I love natural light.

Quinn

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:40am
Hi dazer! We have a living room that isn't a living room at all, which is where I write at. This room has a piano in it, guitars, tamborine, flute...you get the idea....and a computer station. Did I mention the collection of busts (life size...yikes!) that my husband paints sitting on top of the computer station? Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Wolfman, The Mummy,...again, you get the picture. We are all friends.

Right behind me is a large china ball that hangs from the ceiing, and I especially like using that at night. It glows like my very own moon in the sky! Lighting is important to me, it sets the mood and the emotion for my writing. Music is also a great source of inspiration. Did I mention those little twinkle lights everyone uses during the holidays? I use them all year long. I have my writing world in the midst of everyone else's creative forces. Whatever works, right?

Thanks for asking!

~Barbara~

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:53am
Our computer is set up in our office - which I have to share with my husband. It's a total disaster area with computer boxes and books everywhere (not to mention various drafts of my ms. spread out!). I do some writing there. Then other times I use my laptop in bed. Or I write longhand in bed. I cherish the silence, but sometimes I like to write with classical in the background. :-)

Michelle, co-cl for The Writing Life
Life is short. Buy the shoes.
Visit

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:22am
I have my writing space, my computer on a desk with a bunch of resource books around me, right in the kitchen/living room area. It's rarely peaceful, but then if I'm writing I always have music playing anyway.

Joelle

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 6:28pm
My computer is set up in one of the larger rooms in my house. I'm surrounded by bookshelves and one file drawer. There's a fireplace on one end of the room. It doesn't work, though, because the chimney wasn't extended through the new roof. Who needs a fire in Florida anyway?

My back is to a huge window. If memory serves, it's 106 inches wide. The vertical blinds are always closed. I so like to write in the dark!

The only drawback of this room is that it is in the middle of the house and the major traffic pattern to the bathroom and bedrooms. Since Furry Murray only traverses the house five or six times a day, that's really not a problem. Bruce is always welcome. He never misses a chat and loves to be with me when I write - especially when he helps me research how a dog would eat a fast food hamburger. (Best to cut them up. LOL!)

I'm thinking of moving the desk (it's actually a dining room table) into the corner next to the window. Of course, that would mean rerouting the phone lines and maybe running new wires to the electrical outlets. If that sounds like work, the hard part would be sorting through the dozens of boxes of books and writing magazines that line the wall behind me. They'll have to move when we put in the window seat!

I love my "office," mess that it is!

JudyB

JudyB

Pages