Has a book ever moved you to tears?

iVillage Member
Has a book ever moved you to tears?
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:41am
Just a question I was pondering this morning. There are two books that have moved me to tears - "Gone With The Wind" and "The Green Mile". I mean rivers of tears mind you, not just misty-eyed. I cried hard reading "The Green Mile".

So, if we have a particularly touching scene in our writing, how can we as writer's make our readers misty-eyed (or cry rivers of tears)? LOL

Michelle

Michelle, co-cl for The Writing Life
Life is short. Buy the shoes.
Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 4:26pm
Next time you reach for a tissue while you're reading, Michelle, pay particular attention to how the writer put you in that condition.

Now, Margaret Mitchell was a pretty good writer. (That's like saying that Stephen Hawkings is kind of smart.) Stephen King, though, is a master at bending our emotions. He can make you laugh out loud on one page, make you keep the lights on for weeks on the next, then make you break down sobbing. "The Green Mile," "Shawshank Redemption," and "Hearts in Atlantis" can do things to us that "The Shining" and "'Salem's Lot" could never try.

I wrote a short story last year that makes me cry every time I read it. Didn't cry a bit while I wrote it, though. Once the story's all put together, though, it seems to take on a life of its own. Don't have a clue where to market this gem. Maybe that's just as well. It's impossible to edit through the tears. (BTW, it's really a mostly happy story and I'm not sure why it makes me cry.)

JudyB

JudyB