A missile into the fray

iVillage Member
A missile into the fray
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 4:38pm
Wish me luck, gentle writers. I went to the post office today. At long last, I brought an agent query with me!

It's only agent query #2, sent to one of the agents recommended by agent #1 (who, BTW, was not taking new clients the end of last summer, but is listed in WD as a hungry agent now. His tough luck, not mine.)

Response time is quoted as 3 weeks on queries. Guess about the first of May, I'll have to make a deposit at the post office again. Sure hope its a synopsis and sample chapters!

Three weeks plus mail time is only 27 days, right? ;-) Gearing up for the longest 27 days of the year - so far.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:48am
Good luck Judy! I've got my fingers crossed for a positive response. Hopefully the time will fly by these next 27 days. Let us know what happens!

~Ada

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:21am
Hey there Judy,

Very good luck - my finger's are crossed for you. FYI I have now completed my first draft and am leaving this wonderful writer's colony on Thursday. Will be strange to go out into the big wide world again! Juliette x
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 9:35am
My Agent 01 is listed in the March issue of WD - along with at least three or four others I'd considered. Think I'll let the furor die down before I approach any of those 25 agents. (It's a cover story, BTW.)

Agent 01 (yes, it does feel like a spy game) requested an entire proposal last summer when I contacted him. That was a cover letter (not much unlike the query I would have sent had he not wanted me to use all that postage), a synopsis, and three sample chapters.

Agent 02 just wanted a query - so that's all she got. Of course the query started with the fact that she had been recommended by Agent 01. I'm hoping that Paragraph #2, which describes the novel more or less, piques her interest enough to request I use a bunch of postage again.

Best of luck with your query, Quinn! Let's hope we don't have to do this 99 times before we find an agent or a publisher.

JudyB

P.S. I don't bite my nails. Even if I did, I'd have enough nails for both of us. LOL!

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 8:26am
Hooray, Judy! Good Luck!!! I sent out another query yesterday, too. My first since that devastating rejection from TOR. ;) We can bite our fingernails together. :)

I have been wanting to ask you a question about Agent #1. Hmm, sounds like a spy. I'd call him Agent 001 but I don't want to be quite that pessimistic so maybe just 01 (Although he's like Agent 15 for me). What did you send him? In my research I've found several different guidelines for what to send so I haven't sent anything at all. My Writer's Market is aging so I'm hesitant to go off that but Agent 01's homepage keeps coming up as unavailable. Or just tell me which month of WD he's in and I'll find it. I'm glad to hear he's hungry now. His tough luck could be my good luck, right?

Thanks!

Quinn

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 6:04pm
Good luck, Judy! I hope that editor asks for more and gives you an acceptance! Keep us all posted, okay? :-)

Hugs,

Michelle

Michelle, co-cl for The Writing Life
Life is short. Buy the shoes.
Visit