Got a surprise in my mailbox!

iVillage Member
Got a surprise in my mailbox!
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 12:04pm
Checked the mail this morning and found one of my SASE returned to me. I got all excited because I was sure it was my first ever rejection letter (I sent off a short story a couple weeks ago) and was rather confused when I discovered that the envelope contained not a letter, but a poem.

Turns out, it was a response to a high school student poetry contest I'd entered in December and promptly forgot about, since I'm not a poet, and had only entered the contest with scholarship money in mind.

I didn't get the grand prize scholarship money, but they liked "Dancing" enough to declare me a 'special topical winner'. Once I fill out a release form, the poem gets published in an upcoming anthology entitled "Love and Dedication, vol. 4". Apparently they only accept about 10% of submitted poems for publication. Whatever the means.

I'm in shock. (And still a little suspicious. It's April's Fools after all.) I never thought anyone would ever like my poetry! They are, of course, more than willing to sell me one of the anthologies, but I'm thinking I'll just send in the release form and sit back and enjoy the feeling.

Anyway, that's my news. Just thought I'd share. :)

~Ada

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 9:55pm
Ada, that's wonderful! Congratulations! You must be thrilled! :-)

Michelle

Michelle, co-cl for The Writing Life
Life is short. Buy the shoes.
Visit

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 3:28pm
That's a great surprise, Ada! Congratulations!!!

JudyB

JudyB