I Look Healthy !!!......Long M

iVillage Member
I Look Healthy !!!......Long M
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 4:44pm
I wrote on this forum (some days ago) about how no-one I know, has mentioned my weight loss, to date.

I got some excellent advice and I'd like to thank the people who posted.

But yesterday I was at a friends house and they kept talking about how healthy I looked. Maybe this was a subtle way to ask me if I have lost any weight, as I have only told my DH about my health aims, or maybe I do look healthier.

Either way this is a win win situation. :)

So losing those 27 pounds was worth it, I will control my eating, exercise more (my bugbear)and lose the rest. Just 73 pounds to go.

PS. I am losing this weight for myself and my health. It's just so good to think I actually look a little better. Oh dear, that last statement sounds so vain, but you know what I mean.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 4:54pm
Hey...we must be about the same...I've lost 30 lbs with about 70 to go. People I see everyday have noticed...but they also know what I'm doing. However, people at my church whom I see 3 x's a week are just now picking up. And I'm not even sure they really know what's going on...they just know I'm looking better.

And you know what?? There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good! Sure..I want to be healthy...but I want to look good in some jeans, too!

Hang in there...we'll get there together!

Hugs..

Kristina

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 5:28pm
Thanks, your reply made me feel less vain.

It took me a lot longer to lose my weight since Oct 2002. But I haven't lose any weight in the last 5 weeks. I'm hoping it's one of those plateau's I keep hearing about.

You sound better motivated to lose all that weight since January.

-------------------------------

Do you mind me asking how you did it ?

How many times you exercise in a week and what is your food intake like ?

(If you don't want to discuss this, please ignore this request.)

------------------------------------------------

I go to the gym, twice a week and currently working up to three visits.

As I don't have a car at the moment, I walk to college and to shop (average 20 mins a day)

Food wise, I am trying to eat more fruit & veg and less takeaway (some weeks... lol)

and I am aiming to eat 500 calories less than my body needs to maintain my weight. (At the moment this is 1800 to 2000 calories a day)

---------------------------------------------------

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 5:55pm
Well I for one don't mind sounding vain. I love the fact that I look so much better. I look better than some of the younger gals that I thought looked normal to me. Now I look at them and I realize they have excess weight on their ribs or I see thicker thighs than I have. I love it. It's been worth it everytime I have turned down a doughnut or gone the other way when there was a potluck.

Yes, I have lots of reasons for trying to lose 100 pounds. The pain in my legs, the back ache that still bug me, my hip hurting in the middle of the night. Diabeties in both parents families.

But what really keeps me going and eating right, is buying wonderful new clothes in beautiful colors. I love orange, red, yellow, and lime green. I don't even give a hoot that I'm 50 and lime green is supposed to be for young women. SO WHAT. Who made that dumb rule?

No, you go for it. You deserve to flaunt your success. Be sure to get some nice sexy exercise clothes and wear them proudly. They don't have to be skimpy or anything silly. Just nice and colorful.

I wear a pedometer so people will know I try to walk a lot. I put a stop watch around my neck and I carry my water bottle everywhere I go.

When people see you lugging this stuff around they won't have to see a smaller person to realize you are doing something right.

I found out that most people look at an exercising person and they just think how they should be doing it too. They don't go around thinking, oh poor soul they are heavy and they need to exercise. Nope, everyone knows they should. But we, we are the ones that are really doing what we should be doing and we are the envied ones because we have the secret to success. Sticking with it.

(I'm sorry I'm not good at spelling diabeties. I hope I never have to learn how to spell it either.)

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 6:11pm
You have such a good attitude.

I do like my gym (small local one), the people there have been so supportive off me.

Showing me how to alter the machines when I looked stuck.

You are right they don't judge me for being fat but celebrate the fact I am trying to get health...just like them (well they are 100 lbs lighter than me, even the men..lol)

BUT Be warned not everyone has this attitude. My friend wanted me to join the bigger gym down the road. When I went for a visit (on my own), several thin young men, barked like a dog at me and made several pointed comments. I ignored them and looked around but all the time I couldn't wait to get home to cry. I'm told I am fairly pretty and even if they don't agree they shouldn't have been so hurtful.

So I stayed at my small local gym, where the size 8 ladies & muscly men are friendly and helpful.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 11:42pm
That's great! What a wonderful feeling to have others notice your accomplishment. I mean, yeah, we do this for ourselves, but it never hurts to have a little outside praise, LOL!

Wendy

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:28am
Oh my, what a horrible experience. At least they were not nice on your visit instead of being nice just to get you to sign up and then bark at you on your first exercise day.

To be honest I waited until I had lost like 40 pounds before I ever went to an exercise club and joined. I pay the money every month but I don't go. I have a small exercise room at work and I go in very early in the morning. I've seen both men and women come in and start and then after a few weeks, they are long gone. The only guy that comes regularly has some condition that gets better when he exercises so he comes about 3 times a week. Otherwise I'm alone exercising by myself, which I prefer anyway.

I live in an area that has anything you could ask for. I live in Redmond, Washington. It was not hard for me to find an exercise place that is only open to women. I really do plan to go back one of these days, the strength machines are very good.