Body Fat Scales?

iVillage Member
Body Fat Scales?
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 4:11am
I've been wanting one of those puppies for 3 years and I think today I'm going to take the plunge. So anyone who has one...do you like it? Is it accurate? By accurate I mean either consistantly right, or consistantly wrong, and not all over the board. I don't want to get on it one day and have it tell me that my body fat% is 50 on one day and 40 the next KWIM? The scale I have right now can vary a 5 lbs range without me ever getting off it, lol.

And speaking of puppies...a friend of my sister has a chocolate lab about to give birth. She's selling the puppies for $300...and I WANT ONE! WHAAAAA. DH won't let me :-( Yeah I know I know...not a good idea when I have barely enough room in the house for 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 cats. Still...I know I could give one a loving home with all the Milkbones he/she could fathom, lol, and I have a park across the street from me where he/she could run. I'm torturing myself here, better stop it.

~Tanya

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 5:14am
I have a Tanita Body fat scale and I love it.

See this link for details www.tanita.co.uk/consumer_home.cfm

Consistantly right, is correct.

Weighing your fat by total emergation in water is meant to be the most accurate, if you expel all air from your lungs. This is only done in large hospitals and most people can't/won't expel all air from their lungs.

Tanita says

'Because BIA relies on your body's level of hydration, your body fat reading can fluctuate on a daily basis. It can also differ from morning to evening depending on what you eat, drink and the amount of exercise you do. Women will also find their reading changes during the menstrual cycle.

To ensure consistent readings you should try to use the body fat monitor at the same time of day, under the same conditions each time. We recommend you try to use the monitor in the early evening, before you eat your evening meal. Most importantly, because body fat levels change slowly over a period of weeks, try to look for the long-term trend in your readings.'

Ps.I love this scale as it keeps my motivation when I'm not losing weight, I'm usually losing body fat.

Pss.If you buy one get one with at last one memory key. This means you tap one button and get on the scales for your readings. Without a memory key, you have to type in your gender, age and height before each weighing session.

Edited 3/27/2003 6:15:43 AM ET by payitforward

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 5:37am
Thank for the speedy reply. I think I'm going to get it this morning. Shopping for a bike at the same time. I'm so excited...I love income tax, lol.

~Tanya

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:15pm
Did you buy the scales & bike ?

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:23pm