10 Tips of Encouragement
Find a Conversation
|Sat, 03-29-2003 - 8:02am|
you start or anytime you feel your motivation waning, return to this
page for affirmation and inspiration.
1. Be patient. Of course you want to see results quickly. But
remember: Being honest with yourself, visualizing your goals and
making the commitment to change your lifestyle are the keys to
long-term success. These things take time.
2. Rediscover good eating. Learn everything you can about low-fat
cooking, try some exotic fruits and vegetables, or taste-test some
low-fat products until you find your favorites. Rather than feeling
deprived, look at food in a new, exciting way. It will do wonders
for your willpower.
3. Think movement! Introduce some everyday activities to help make
exercise more of a habit than a chore. Take the stairs instead of
the escalator and walk rather than drive. Plan active outings instead
of going to a movie. You can even make cleaning the house an aerobic
exercise: Dance like crazy -- no one's watching!
4. Stay flexible on food. You don't have to nix all your favorite
goodies, nor should you feel guilty or abandon your goal if you
occasionally splurge. Enjoy every bite, then balance the rest of
the day -- or the next day -- with healthier foods.
5. Splurge on water. Think of water as a treat -- your body sure
does! Try it bubbly (in flavored seltzers) or on ice with citrus
slices. Drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day is essential
to losing weight. It also keeps digestion smooth, cleanses your
body and curbs hunger. And it's great for your skin!
6. Know your needs. If you're susceptible to attacks of the midday
munchies, keep something crunchy and satisfying -- like fresh fruit,
low-fat pretzels or sweet baby carrots -- in your desk. If you always
want something sweet after dinner, don't fight it. Plan a scoop of
low-fat frozen yogurt or sorbet into your food plan.
7. Get scale-smart. Put the scale away if you're trying to lose
weight. Weight fluctuates too much day to day. Visit your scale
once a week or less and you'll start to see results.
8. Be goal-oriented. The most successful people in life set goals to
reach what they want. Write down your goals and watch yourself make
9. Tap into visualization. If you can imagine it, you're that much
closer to getting there. Visualize your body without all those
unwanted pounds. Each day, picture yourself getting a little
slimmer. It will keep you focused and reaffirm good feelings
about yourself and your commitment.
10. Track your progress. Write down the new foods you discover,
every mile you walk, how you deal with cravings, every goal you
attain, when your clothes start fitting better, the first
compliment you receive -- all your finest moments. There
will be many!