Fruit and veges

iVillage Member
Fruit and veges
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 7:17pm
I think I finally have DH on track! He made a plate of fresh fruit and veges for lunch today and we used the light dressings for dips. The kids loved it and they ate a ton of fruit and veges. They usually eat pretty good but anytime I can get more into them the better I like it.

We had some bread and cheese after the fruit and veges but we were pretty full so only ate a bit. Nothing better than fresh fruit and veges!

Does anyone have any great tips for getting your 5-10 servings a day?

Diane (piper3)

iVillage Member
In reply to: piper3
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 10:18pm
Whoohoooo for you and hub! What a wonderful and healthy family lunch :) Yay, all of you!!

Here's a couple of tips for ya~

1. Always eat 1 serving of fruit with breakfast and lunch.

2. Eat your veggies first, then your protein and then the starchy stuff (rice, bread, noodles, potato, corn, etc)...that way you don't get too full before you get those important veggies in.

3. Start experimenting a little bit and throw in a cup or so worth of veggies into something you wouldn't normally. For instance last week, I mixed in 2 cups of spinach with some refried beans and had a great homemade, lowfat mexican dinner. And DU was none the wiser ;)

Hugs!

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 6:35am
I have been told several times, on the several diet plans I have been on, to have your fruits early in the day, before noon. Do you know why? Trish
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 6:40am
I have never heard that before. In fact a nutritionist has told me personally not to eat any fruit till after noon. That was for me specifically cuz I have trouble with my blood sugar, and after not eating all night, the sugar in fruit would make my blood sugar really spike high. But I don't know in general what they suggest.

Nicki

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 10:43am
Thanks, Nicki, I wanted to know if anyone had ever been told that. I also have blood sugar problems. I will pay attention to what you said in my own case. I have to admit, I have felt so bad for so long, that when I do eat something maybe I shouldn't, and then feel bad, I don't always put two and two together. Does that make any kind of sense? Anyway, you brought up a good point and I will pay a little more attention to that. Thanks, Trish
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 12:06pm
I am glad to share what has worked for me... and if you ever want to talk and share tips or anything, I would be happy to. Feel free to email me any time. I have some more little hints and tips too that might help if blood sugar is an issue. I know what you mean about being used to feeling bad. I am so much more aware of how my body is feeling now, than I ever used to be.

Good luck, and keep up the great work!!

Nicki