Major Backslide!

iVillage Member
Major Backslide!
Sat, 09-26-2009 - 9:53pm
My son got the wii fit for his birthday. We were playing around with it and I decided to do my profile. I was shocked when I saw how much I weighed. And my BMI! They pretty much classified me as at the very top of the Obese category. They may actually have wanted to put me passed the obese category but they didn't have a higher category. I thought I weighed 234. That is where I've stayed for awhile, but they weighed me in at 241. I didn't believe it so I went to get on my personal scale and low and behold, 239.5. Not too far off! This is just awful! I give up on being healthy for 2 weeks and I gain 6 pounds! I've got to stop this madness! And to top it all off, my aunt is coming to visit. I haven't seen her in over 5 years, or, as I like to say...I saw her 50 pounds ago! 50! She's not going to recognize me and I have to actually socialize with her like I don't know that she's trying to calculate how much I've gained. You have to understand the dynamic I've always had with my aunt. Whenever we visit, we always talk about weight loss and healthy eating etc. The last time I visited with her, I had just had my 2nd son and was trying to lose the baby weight. Instead of losing baby weight, I gained 50 pounds! I weigh now what I weighed 9 months pregnant with that son! I'm just mortified, but there's really nothing I can do. She'll be here in a week. I don't know why I keep on riding this roller coaster. On, Off, On, Off. I just want to feel better about myself. Why can't I ever stick with something long enough for it to work? I need help! I just need to start somewhere.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-26-2009 - 11:13pm

Abbie, I know just how you feel. For the past few days, I've been off track and though I've claimed to be "back on track" in the morning hours, by nightfall, I have failed miserably! I'm not trying a "diet" plan..Lord knows I can't stick to that four letter word..but I am doing a "hunger/fullness" plan. While I'm not overly religious, by any means, the program I am semi-doing is called "Thin Within"...The book is written by Judy and Arthur Halliday..great book about learning to forgive yourself for your mistakes and learning to eat the way God intended to get to your God given weight. You can go to amazon.com and read the book reviews. That's what I did before buying it. I'd been told to buy the 2002 edition by one of the contributors of the book..that's the edition I have.

Anyway, my hubby and I have taken a few days off and we have eaten nonstop..both of us. I dread weighing tomorrow. I was at 216 this morning, from 213

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 12:03am
There is no magic dust that will take our problems away or I'd be buying it by the pound.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 11:20am

Hi Abbie,

I know you can do it.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 7:51pm
Thank you for the advice. It really helps to know that there are others with the same struggles. I've thought about this for about 24 hours and I've decided that I do really need to take a look at what I eat. When I'm at home, I eat pretty healthy. No soda, chips, cookies. I eat fruit and seltzer water and home cooked items. Not a lot of frying or oil. It's my other habits that I've found hard to break. That pizza night where I eat 4 pieces by myself or the family get together where I can down 4 sodas, a bag of chips and 4 hot dogs. I have a hard time saying no to good food when it's in front of my face. I also tend to binge at night in front of the TV. Even if I buy pretzels with good intentions, eating the whole bag at night won't help! I think I really need to keep a food journal to become more aware of my choices. I also want to resume my 30 minute walks. I'm going to continue to post on here to keep my motivation up. It seems that I need constant reminders that I'm trying to change my life or I forget and go back to my old ways.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 7:53pm
Learning to forgive yourself is definitely something I probably need to do. I will check out that book. Thanks for the advice!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 7:54pm
I really like that thought...one healthy choice at a time. That resonates with me because there have been many times in my life where I have applied the same principle. One minute at a time! Thanks for the encouragement!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 8:03pm

Sometimes just being more aware of what you really are eating helps.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 11:09pm

Abby,

I am going to go in a different direction than other people....you are you...the one and incredible Abby...whether you weigh 125 or 325...your aunt loves you...not how you look...but who you are.

I have shared this before, but not for a while.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 11:37pm

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 8:57am
That was a beautiful insight into humanity! We are all the same on the inside. I will try to not let my hang-ups about my weight interfere in having a good time with family that I haven't seen in years. Thank you!

Pages