Does anyone else avoid the doctor?

iVillage Member
Does anyone else avoid the doctor?
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 12:38am

I've been sick with a cough and as embarassing as it is to admit, I

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 9:30pm

Ann,

I am of the age that my doctor seems like he's about twelve years old (and he has a cute little stutter!) so he doesn't scare me...

I am going to say something which, if it doesn't ring true for you, please ignore...it is just an idea and opinion.

I think one reason why we let ourselves get overweight is that we somehow think we don't deserve to take care of ourselves - to put what we need ahead of what others think and want and need.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-08-2009 - 9:19am

I would agree with that one SJ. I haven't felt like I deserve to come first since the son came along. And I was usually putting DH first anyway, so now I'm third in line for my attention, and it is starting to show. I would have thought there wasn't such a thing as too much love, but my son and DH literally fight over which one of them gets me at night (since we moved to the arctic 4 years ago, I spend 3 nights a week sleeping with my son, to give him more attention and security- we were moving so often the first couple years his world was pretty chaotic), and DH is 'proving' his love for me and wants more of my time since our strife in the spring. SO- as nice as it is- I want ME time-Oh well- I'll enjoy the attention and try to carve out some me time when I can.
sorry to whine about something others probably would not

lissa

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-08-2009 - 5:54pm

Hey Ann,

I used to be that way... In fact, I remember one time I went and refused to get on the scale. They talked me into it...

The only thing I can tell you is I play(ed) a head game on myself. I had a friend who discovered a lump in her breast. She knew it was there, had an idea it was cancer, but didn't want to "know" for sure. So she put off going to the doctor. By the time they diagnosed it 6 months later it metastasized to her lymph nodes.

Not knowing doesn't change what is. Your not the biggest person to walk through their doors, and even if you were, it's a step in the right direction.

You're worth their time, do it for you!

Cg

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 11:34pm

Thanks everyone for your insight. I do know exactly what I weigh, I am just so ashamed of myself that I hate the embarassment of getting on the scale in front of others. Plus when the doctor reads my chart and sees that i weigh MORE than when I went to have my last baby, I don't care to hear about it. I am going to be making an appointment

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 11:42pm

Ann,

The EXACT same thing happened to my stomach after having my second child.

WORKING ON GOAL # 2

JOGGING MY WAY TO 175 BY
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 1:44am

I hope that is does has something to do with having three big babies, since all were over 8 lbs. While I was pregnant with my last baby the doctor said something about my muscles seperating. I am going to have it checked to be sure. Thanks, it makes me feel better and I hope it does go away. I sure don't need any help in the belly sticking out department. ;-)

ANN

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-15-2009 - 1:57pm
hehehe i can relate!! I just was there last week!hopefully we can make it through cold season wwithout needing to go back!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 12:27pm

Hi Ann,
just my 2 cents - if there is anybody you should talk to about your weight problem, it's you doc! And many docs are very compassionate nowadays regarding this issue - and many docs themselves struggle with weight just like the rest of us!
I live in NYC, and they can actually send you to free nutritional counseling sessions (I believe, there is an income qualification for it to be free) - this is available even to the folks who don't have insurance.
You might also have access to such resources, and I would ask the doctor. Weight is a medical issue, NOT cosmetic. Could it be that you overeat because you have depression? Because your life is not fulfilling enough? Would you like to go back to school, or take a pottery class? - The doctor is the person to discuss this with, precisely because he/she will tell you some of the unpleasant things your friends - or even we, the anonymous folks on the boards, won't.

I volunteer at a free clinic in the city, and obesity is probably the number one problem we have (technically, people come in because they have hyperlipidimia or diabetes, or asthma, or arthritis in the weight-bearing joints - but all these conditions do go away with weight loss!). And during the three years I have worked there I have seen some - very few, it's definitely a minority!!! - patients lose weight. ANd you know, they all had in common this resolve, this determination to get rid of this fat that was making them sick - but first they acknowledeged it to themselves, to the doctors, to the volunteers... I don't know, may be the fact that from then on they were accountable to somebody helped...

On the other hand, I have these patients (we have to weigh everybody at intake) - who start arguing with me when I tell them that they have gained a few pounds, or haven't lost any since the last time I saw them; they claim that the scale is broken... blah blah blah...

It's understandable you feel embarrassed and unhappy about the weight. But I will re-iterate - treat it as a medical problem that it is, and discuss it with a health professional!!!
best of luck