How do you handle Halloween?

iVillage Member
How do you handle Halloween?
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 9:46am

Hi all!

Hope you've all enjoyed Halloween. Now, I have a question for all of you. How do you handle being around all the Halloween goodies? Whether you trick-or-treat with your kids, or you just buy candy to give out, we all seem to be surrounded by goodies at this time of year. So. How do you buffer yourself from all the treats?

I have the children's loot bags stored out in the car. When dh comes home from work, he brings the bags in with him so the kids can eat some of their junk after supper. Then back out to the car the bags must go! ...If not, I'd eat it.

What other strategies might you suggest to me so I wouldn't have to keep my kids stuff under lock and key? Do any of you have other coping skills?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 4:34pm
Well, thankfully, I'm an old fuddy-duddy when it comes to Halloween.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 7:48pm

I don't have kids, and in the city, children only go to the houses of people they know - so usually not a problem.

But this year I was at my mother's, and she had Kraft Caramels - probably in my Top Ten category - and she had made

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 6:06am
We don't participate anymore, but that didn't stop me from participating in eating chocolate that was in the house!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 2:15pm
LOL about the Almond Joys! Yes, I can totally relate to that! I (used to) do the same thing with my kids. Order things they wouldn't like, just so I could eat it in peace and not have to share. Gosh, as I'm writing this, I'm having an epiphany. I never really thought about it like that, but that's exactly what I'd do when ordering pistachio ice-cream... They don't like the green colour, so they let me eat it alone. Terrible!! I'm going to pay more att'n to see if I do that still... Thank you! You just made me more aware of my actions.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 2:19pm

SJ, you are speaking words that touch my soul... Kraft Caramels and fudge... Mmmmmmm....
But good on you that it's only once a year.

My Dad makes the absolute BEST fudge I've ever eaten. I purposely don't ask him for the recipe because it would be dangerous for me to learn how!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 2:22pm
Oh well... That's why it's a journey. Wishing you a chocolate-free day :-)
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 6:02pm
Hi Tracie, That's right..and what's a journey if ya can't enjoy it along the way? :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 10:56pm

We go thru the bags as soon as we get home, the kids pick out their favorites and then they each put them in their own ziplock bags with their names on them and get put in their "snack" cabinet, what ever is left over gets taken to work and given away.

Sara  

342-300-200

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 7:04am

LOL Sara, I think it's so funny that the kids stay away because of the cemetary and the "black cat" ..haha

Like you, I'm more into the meat and taters, myself. That's what got me where I am today!

Administrator
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 9:39am

Oh, oh, I saw this blog with a few neat ideas while I was chowing down on my daughter's candy the other day (the artichoke thing is interesting). It might help: Tricked Into Treats? 4 Easy Steps to Help You Get Back on Track

shredded.gif I'm Shredded-Are you? picture by HealthAccount

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

Pages