Back after a long time away

iVillage Member
Back after a long time away
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 6:02pm
Hi I am Cassandra! I don't recognize many of the people on this board any more, so I will reintroduce myself. I am 32 years old and have been married for 13 years and have a ds who is 12, a dd who is almost 11, and a dd who is 8. I have been overweight most of my life, from around age 8. I have at one point lose 100 lbs, but it came back. The last few years I have had alot of not weight related health problems, that have been consuming me. I had a horrible time with endometriosis which ended last year with a complete hysterectomy. I had surgery on my lower back almost two years ago. but I am back now and doing well. So on to my plan and how its working:
My husband is overweight, with no where near the amount to lose as me. But his last trip to the dr. had him ready to make a change. I had just recently read an article about low carb dieting and it made sense. It was also one route I had never tried before. So, on Thursday November 12th, we started our plan. I weigh almost ever day with officially weighing on Thursday and I have lost 7 pounds in 11 days. My husband will only weigh on Thursdays, but he lost 5 pounds the first week. It seems really hard to everyone I talk to, but I have no cravings or desires for what used to be my favorite foods. I was a pasta, bread and sweets addict!!! But we cut them almost totally out of our diet. In fact the only "bread" we use is low carb wraps, we eat no pasta and NO sugar!! I feel so good. My indigestion is gone, I never feel bloated or icky. I feel full and satisfied the majority of the time. By cutting our carbs we also cut our calories and upped our vegetable intake substantially. I see this as a way to be for life and I am really excited about it. I am reaching for the goal of losing 150 lbs.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 9:23pm

Hello and welcome to our board!

It sounds like you've found a way to do this that might work for you.

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 10:07pm
Liz--Thanks for the welcome. You know I really thought I was going to have an issue with not being able to eat the pasta and breads and sweets, but I am surprised at my lack of cravings. We do have sugar free jello in the evening and I found a fabulous recipe for sugar free, gluten free, low carb pumpkin pie, which even my 12 year old loved. We also have figured out how to make vanilla chai tea lattes that are sugar free and low carb. So we are re-working some things to fit the diet. But I have attended two social events and didn't feel the pull to those foods that I know I can't have. It shocks me that I am not hungry and not wildly craving. It does help alot to have my husband doing this with me. I need that support. I am glad to be back on the board, I think it is a great place to find help and support!
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-23-2009 - 12:09am

I have a couple of low carb favorites:

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-23-2009 - 11:45am
I would love any and all ideas to add some variety to our eating. We do like using lettuce to wrap things up. I hadn't thought about any casserole ideas, that is something to think about. Right now things are pretty automated, we have just a few meals we switch around. Its nice because we know the calorie and carb count in them. But we do need some variety as time goes on. I have a really hard time with what to send with my husband for lunch. Usually I just send a wrap and a few snacks. I have cooked venison in a slow cooker for several hours and sent that with him. I am just so excited that this is working for us! I have been really contemplating weight loss surgery, just tired of it all!
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-23-2009 - 6:25pm

Hi Cassandra!

Glad to "meet" you!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-23-2009 - 8:07pm
Cg--HI!! Thanks for the welcome! Thankfully (and surprisingly) I have lower than normal blood pressure and good cholesterol and blood sugars. I know though that as I get older that can change. Diabetes runs rampant through my family so I feel lucky to have made it this long and hope to hold it off. I do have low back and joint problems that I hope will be alleviated from weight loss. I am doing this for me first and foremost, but also for my family. I have three children that I want to be a good example for, rather than a warning of what not to do. I believe that I can do this for life, it really has come so easily. I am loving how I feel!