New and wanted to introduce myself

iVillage Member
New and wanted to introduce myself
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 12:17am

Well, I don't really know what to say, other than the fact is I am trying to lose weight. I am 26 years old and ever since puberty I have had weight issues. I get so down on myself because I was such a pretty, thin girl and now I am a whale (I know negativity is bad but unfortunately its one of my big problems.) I am now at my all time highest weight. I have been battling depression for a couple years now and I know that I am an emotional eater and these are all things that I am trying to deal with. My mom is a very thin person and my grandma is always on me about my weight so I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I am just hoping that I can get some inspiration, motivation and tips from this board. I have never joined one of these boards before and I am hoping it will help. You would think that being healthy and skinny would be enough of a motivator for me but its not. Sometimes I just think giving up is easier. I would like to lose about 100lbs and it seems like such an unattainable goal. I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for listening.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 11:28pm

Welcome to the board! Many of us have struggled with our weight for our whole lives - you are smart to try to get it under control while you are so young. I am 53 and have been on this journey for 6 years - this is not the first time for me, but I plan for this

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 6:01pm

Hi There - I am so glad that you posted and introduced yourself. I too have struggled with mental health issues since a teenager (I'm 33 years old now) and it can be very hard to deal with especially depression. Are you on medication for depression? Because I've noticed that in the past when I have been on anti-depressants they would make me hungry and I would gain weight. I am also an emotional eater so the combo between the two is hard to overcome. I don't think anyone can really grasp what depression does to you unless you've walked the walk. Overcoming negative behaviors and thinking can be really overwhelming, but I believe in you. I think as long as we as morbidly obese or even obese women need to think about just being healthy. So if you don't get down to a size 4 who the hell cares? I always catch myself comparing me against the skinny people and how much I would like to look like that, but you know what??? I am very tall so for me a size 14 would be a very healthy weight and size for me. It's like when I was a size 14 I thought for sure I was a whale as you put it. I thought it was the end of my life. I wanted to run and hide. Now, I would kill to be in a size 14. I am currently in a size 32. I have a long way to go and ALOT of obstacles to overcome, but I really hope that I can do it.

Anyway, I hope you come here often for support and I look forward to getting to know you a lot better!

Take Care,

Jena

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-25-2009 - 7:43pm

It might seem like an unattainable goal right now, but you should always remember that you didn't gain 25 lbs yesterday, and you're not going to lose 25 lbs tomorrow.

This is a process.