New, Motivated, Snowed in....

iVillage Member
New, Motivated, Snowed in....
Thu, 01-07-2010 - 11:55am
Hello, Everyone! Happy Thursday.

I hope everyone is having a good year so far. I have finally decided it's the time and place to focus and work towards the goals I have had regarding my weight and body. My efforts were put on hold after a car accident in Sep 2008 which left me in a wheelchair (and occasionally reliant upon crutches) for 14 months. I gained back the weight I had managed to lose in the months prior to the accident, though I didn't come close to my highest measured weight from several years ago, which was 372. My hip and socket were badly broken, and I developed a staph infection after the surgery. Three days after a temporary hip was installed, it dislocated and broke through the artificial socket. From then (4/09) they removed all the hardware, aggressively treated the infection, and from April til 9/14/09 my leg was missing the upper femur, femoral head, and complete acetabulum while we waited for the infection to disappear. I tried to remain positive, and did a reasonably good job, but I overate like crazy out of boredom, frustration, and to comfort myself and my fears of never walking again. God is good- 5 weeks after the total hip replacement in Sep 09 I was able to walk with a cane. Eight weeks after the operation I was discharged from occupational therapy because I was walking without a cane, and dealing well with the associated pain. It still hurts, but I work around it.

Because I missed out on so much during the year after my accident I've been trying to catch back up to life. I am active with the PTO at the kids' school, I have started working part time at our local library, I volunteer at our church as secretary and Youth leader, I am the assistant coach for the youth baseball team my husband coaches, and I am working on continuing my college degree online. I am afraid I might make a mistake by overscheduling myself and my weight loss goals could fall to the wayside. In that spirit, I realized I had to find a place for support!

My husband is very supportive, and I jokingly call him "Bob" after the trainer on The Biggest Loser. However, he is skinny as a rail (he's currently at his highest weight ever, which is 142 lbs. He can wear the same jeans he did in high school). He has no idea what it feels like to struggle with his weight, and so his support sometimes feels more hollow than I feel like I could find- and offer- with people who suffer the same struggles.

Aside from trying to get healthier, reduce weight-related wear on my artificial hip, and control my PCOS symptoms and hypothyroid symptoms, I am hoping that getting to a healthier weight will help with fertility. My short term goal is 2.5 lbs per week, average, In that frame of mind, I set my goals to 10 lbs at a time to not become overwhelmed. I know it won't always be that high, but I think that the weeks that are good averaged with the weeks that aren't will work out to that. If I manage that, then at the first week in October I can have lost 100 lbs. I currently weigh 284 lbs, and 184 is NOT ideal for my body type and height, but when I weighed that before I felt very healthy. I would be thrilled to be at that weight again, and feel I could have a healthy pregnancy at that weight.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-07-2010 - 8:40pm

Welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-08-2010 - 11:17pm
Congradulations I am glad you are here I am also snowed in! I have a skinny man 145 who thinks he's fat whatever!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-10-2010 - 10:43am

Hi Ginger, and welcome to our board!

It sounds like you've had a lot to deal with!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-10-2010 - 5:02pm

Doing meals ahead of time would be a GREAT idea for me. Another thing I do is pre-enter my stuff in www.fitday.com so I can SEE how many calories I'll be eating, and know if I can have a guilt-free healthy munchy, or if I should consider rethinking the sourcream on my taco salad, etc.

In other news...it's still snowing, and our kids STILL haven't returned to school from Christmas break....lol