Have lurked, now posting

iVillage Member
Have lurked, now posting
Tue, 01-12-2010 - 10:31pm

Hello!

I'm Alecia, I've been perusing a few different weight loss boards and I definitely think there is a lot of support here.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-12-2010 - 10:51pm

I forgot to ask this in my previous post, but does anyone know of any good websites about finding out how to cut back on calories correctly?

Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-12-2010 - 11:03pm

Welcome to the board!

I don't know of a website specific to what you are asking, but one thing you can do is journal your food for a week and use a site like fitday.com to figire out the nutritional content of what you are eating.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-13-2010 - 12:54am

Hi Alecia, and welcome to our cozy little hide-away!

As SJ said, the key is to zero in on healthy foods - lean meats, lower carb high grains carbs - lots of fresh fruits and veggies - you'll do fine with those choices!

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-13-2010 - 7:05am
Welcome, good luck on your journey, everyone is very helpful and supportive here hope to get to know you here too.(pstt) Keep us posted..

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-13-2010 - 7:46am

Hi Alecia, welcome. I'm new here too, working on baby steps.

I've been using fitday.com for the past 11 years to track calories and the great thing about now is that they added a new feature about 2 years ago that helps you decide how many calories you need to be cutting (and consuming) to reach your goal in the time frame you choose. It's free to join.

I also recently stumbled across a site, mynetdiary.com that does the same thing, but it doesn't take as long to enter your foods and their database is a lot more extensive. The catch with that is, it is free for the basic features, but they have a monthly fee if you want access to all of the features, including having the app on your ipod touch or iphone and being able to sync with the website from anywhere you might be.

Both sites allow you to add your own foods and recipes, track exercise (again, mynetdiary has a more extensive library, like including some wii sports) and nutrients, etc. I suggest trying both out (for free of course) and deciding which one you prefer.

~*~TLM~*~
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-13-2010 - 9:42am

I like and use SparkPeople.com. You enter your foods, exercise, etc. for the day and it will then produce a report letting you know how you did and where you need to improve.

Beth