HELP! I need some (a lot) of advice :)

iVillage Member
HELP! I need some (a lot) of advice :)
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 1:19am

Hi! I'm not sure where to even start but here goes. :) I'm a single mom and I work from home on my computer so I am sitting allllll day and most of the evening/night. I'm struggling financially so joining a gym or diet program isn't within my reach, even buying much more than hot dogs and mac & cheese is tough some weeks but I am very overweight and I just can't stand to look at myself anymore and I want to do something about it. Knowing you have to lose 120 pounds (approximately) seems so over whelming and out of reach I had given up on myself - but I know if I figure out the how I can do it. :)

I don't know anyone where I live, so I don't have any support and I want to feel better and show myself and my kids that I can do this. I want to have more energy to play with them and I want to be here for a long time. I also think it would help me in so many other areas like my with my work and just generally taking my life back.

So anyone with any advice on where/how to start would make me eternally grateful. I know I can exercise at home and I have some old workout videos that I can start with but how do you cook and buy healthy food with such a tight budget? I know it can be done I just have to figure out where to start.

Thanks in advance I sincerely appreciate it!

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 7:50am

I understand where you are coming regarding the expense of eating healthier, but what I did is look at what I was buying and figured where I could swap out healthier options that are within my budget.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 12:02pm

I can completely relate to your struggles- finances are generally tight for my family because my husband has been laid off since February and I am still unable to work full time.

However, there are some things I have done that might be workable for you. I switched to whole wheat pasta or slivered zucchini for lasagna and spaghetti dishes. I have been cutting down on carbs as much as possible- switching sandwiches for salads when I can, and snacking on low-fat jerky instead of potato chips. I eat diet fudgesicles instead of candy bars.

It's RIDICULOUS how expensive it is to eat in a way that isn't going to kill you in the long run, but it's necessary for the changes you've decided to make for yourself.

And the mental game I play with myself most of the time is to, morbid as it sounds, imagine myself in a coffin, because that's where I'm going to end up if I don't make changes and stick to them. Think of the things you want for yourself, and ask yourself if that thing you're about to eat is going to help or hinder you in reaching it.

BTW: do you have a yard? We saved HUNDREDS of dollars this summer by planting our own lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and sunflowers (we're still eating the onions, peppers, and sunflower seeds thanks to the freezer and dehydrator). I bought the seeds in bulk from eBay and it was very affordable.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 9:04pm

Welcome to the board!

My opening suggestions for people are always the same:

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 11:41pm
Actually my parent's always freeze their oreos, they say they taste better that way (they eat them frozen.) I really don't like oreos but they are pretty good that way, the only way I really like them is to fry them and that just makes them really unhealthy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 10:22pm
You've already gotten a lot of great advice, but in a struggle like we are in the more advice and support the better!
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 10:26am

I am a fanatical meal planner.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 12:23pm

Hi and welcome to our board.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-19-2010 - 9:25pm

Hi There! First of all, congrats on posting! You are already on your way! The girls here are really great and supportive. You were asking for advice...I don't have any kids, but I am on social security disability and live with my parents. I'm the cook and we are on a very tight budget due to the economy and my Dad only making $12,000 last year compared with $65,000 the year before.

Just some ideas...have you applied for food stamps? Watch for sales...there is a grocery store where I live that does a lot of buy one get one free on meat, chicken, steak, hot dogs, whatever --- Also, use coupons. My other advice is to get your produce (veggies and fruit) from a local produce stand or farm. Not only will it taste better because it is locally grown, it will be like 50%-65% cheaper than at the grocery store.

I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed about losing 120 lbs. I have lost 11 lbs with 221 lbs more to go. I really believe that you can do it. It sounds like you have a lot of incentive with your kids and all.

I hope this helps - Take Care, Jena