Let go of 50 Things

iVillage Member
Let go of 50 Things
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 9:17pm

I read an article in the Sunday paper this week that suggested that you could improve your life by getting rid of 50 things - things you don't want, need, and/or use.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 10:57pm
Nope. I know what I should get done tomorrow. I have a collection of newspaper clippings. Births. Deaths. The odd article about a family member or friend who's made the paper... I cut them out and stick them in my china cabinet under the "good" dishes. Tomorrow I should move them into the scrapbook! That would feel good!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 9:07pm

I love that you keep your 'scrapbook to-do' in the china closet.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 2:37pm

**blushing** About my scrapbook-to-do in the china cabinet... Well, I have a reason... my kids... they get into everything that's not under lock & key... gulp. (My dh tells me I have poor organizational skills. I guess this is just one example. I have many more.)

My next thing to weed through is my cake decorating stuff. In the early 90's I took up the hobby of cake decorating. At the time, I was living at home with Mum & Dad. I had all kinds of time to devote to hobbies. Now, with a husband and 3 kids (not to mention my own laundry to do! I had it good with Mum being my personal laundry lady! lol) I don't have time for making those fancy cakes. If I do manage to bake a cake from scratch, I just throw on the icing and a few candles... et Voila! It's done! No playing around. I have not one, but 2 kitchen cupboards full of cake decorating stuff! This will be VERY hard for me to part with, as I paid up to $60 each for a couple of my pans. And they got used once each. I'm cheap. I hate throwing away money. I KNOW I'm not saving any money by keeping those pans... but it's still hard :(

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 8:57pm

Tracie,

Have you thought about e-bay or craig's list for the cake decorating stuff?

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 2:51pm

SJ,

Thank you, yes, I've thought about it... But quite frankly I'm just not that organized. I'd botch that up good! I know that if I went the route of ebay or craigs list, those things would sit in my house forever! Look at this example. I've got a tandem stroller that I'd like to sell. 3 wks ago, I wrote out a paper to put up on the grocery store bulletin board. The paper is still sitting on my counter in that famous little pile of stuff! Aaack!

My dh and I are considering doing a yard sale. We have a few quality items that would be fun to sell instead of give away. We'll see. I haven't given away the cake pans yet :)

BUT! This weekend my dh and I got in our sun porch, (which act as cold storage in the winter mths) and we got rid of a BUNCH of stuff! It felt so good to see the crib and toddler bed both gone! Now, we can walk in there without having to squeeze past the furniture. It feels great!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-02-2010 - 3:04pm

I'm terribly disorganized, too.

I've been cleaning and sorting and boxing for a long time now.

Pages