Let go of 50 Things

iVillage Member
Let go of 50 Things
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 9:17pm

I read an article in the Sunday paper this week that suggested that you could improve your life by getting rid of 50 things - things you don't want, need, and/or use.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 2:48pm

Hi SJ,

I'm reading the book "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh (the guy who is on Oprah from time to time and also does the show Clean Sweep). I am loving that book! For about a month now, I've been purging my home of things I never would have been able to get rid of otherwise. I'm not a hoarder like you see on tv, but I can "relate" to their way of thinking. EVERYTHING has some sentimental attachment to it, or it'll be useful SOMEDAY... Well, this book has made me re-think all of that. I've gotten rid of 5 trash bags of stuff by giving it away to Value Village and threw away one trash bag of junk. Not too bad, I say!

Has it made me feel lighter? Not really. But it sure does make me feel happy! I no longer look around at other houses wishing we had a bigger house. So, it's worth it!

Good luck and happy de-cluttering!
Tracie

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 8:59pm

Tracie,

I loved 'Clean Sweep'! I watch 'Clean House' and 'Hoarders' but they are a little more extreme than 'Clean Sweep' - sometimes they are scary.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 9:12pm
Hi Tracie. I did not know Clean Sweep was still on. I loved that show. It used to be on TLC. What channel do you get it on now?

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 9:23pm

I threw out two more 'things' last night - two semi-broken umbrellas(and I didn't even regret it when it rained today although I need to replace with one that isn't broken) and something personal that I'm counting without naming.night I threw away three little bottles of liquer that were in my Christmas sticking years ago(I don't like the flavors) and a toothbrush.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 10:10pm
I do catch Clean Sweep on TLC. I couldn't tell you what times, though. I don't watch it regularly. Mostly just if I'm flicking through the guide and I see it, I'll switch it on. I believe it's probably weekends that I am able to catch it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 10:24pm

My battle with the clutter is a never-ending struggle. Today, a very good friend of mine came over with FOUR garbage bags of clothing that her 3 daughters have outgrown. In those bags, there were also video cassettes, books and toys. I went through all the stuff and kept only things that my daughter will wear in the next year. All other clothes went in the donation pile. This was really hard for me to do, because a lot of the clothing I am letting go still had tags on. Brand new clothing... but way too big! It is now in our van so my dh can drop it off at Value Village on his way to work. I need to do that, because I know I'll start pulling things out of those bags if they stay in the house.

I had a harder time parting with the children's videos, books and toys. I kept it all :( Don't know why it's so hard for me to part with stuff like that... Especially the video tapes, cause we don't use our vcr's anymore, only dvd's. Silly to keep them, I know.

But on the up-side, I went through my bag of gloves, scarves, toques, etc. Got rid of a bunch of that stuff! Woo hoo! It feels so good to downsize.

Ok, that's it. I'm getting rid of those video cassettes :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 11:32pm

YAY for you for getting rid of the video tapes!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 12:40pm

Ya, I have trouble getting rid of things that were gifts too. But, if we've used the item, and it's sorta time for a new one, well then I guess it's run it's course, eh?

Today I went in my dresser and gave away 3 shopping bags of clothes. I gave away anything that doesn't fit properly, or makes me feel "ugly" when I'm wearing it. At my heaviest, I didn't care what I looked like in my clothes. As long as it fit over the body, it was good enough. No more! I'm not a "fashionista". I never will be. But, a little bit of pride in one's appearance is a good thing, I think :)

Last year my Mum & Dad downsized to a smaller house. In preparing for the move, my Mum got rid of a lot of stuff. One of the items she gave away was a cheese platter I had given her when I was a kid. I asked her to give it back to me. I don't use it - not even when I throw parties. So, I should give it away. I know I should! And yet I'm holding on to this thing... Well, for today I'll be happy with getting rid of all my "ugly" clothes. But I will think about the cheese platter for tomorrow :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 10:18pm

I filled a recycle bin at work with papers from the top of my desk.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 10:53pm

Boy can I relate to "end(ing) up with one last little pile". Mine is on my kitchen counter. My famous, or rather infamous, pile can go almost a foot high when it's at it's worst. Right now it's only about 3". I'm happy with that, but I would SO LOVE to eliminate it! But, I know if I do put all this into a drawer, I will forget a lot of stuff... I just need some things visible other wise I forget about them :(

On the plus-side though, I got down to business with my bedroom dresser. I managed to clear off the top of it! In 7 yrs of living in this house, I have never had it so neat. I feel really good about this!

Not sure what area I will tackle tomorrow. Things are starting to look fairly good around here!

Pages