New here, need help where to start

iVillage Member
New here, need help where to start
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 4:37am

Brief information, I am 32, 330lbs, 5'3" female.

I have a severely unhealthy lifestyle, limited income/resources and ability to go out. Also very uncomfortable neighborhood where I am terrified to walk just down the street.

I eat pretty much everything wrong. I do like healthy foods, such as veggies, fruits, etc, but have very limited knowledge of cooking other than throwing together a boxed recipe or microwaving things.

I am looking to find ways to start exercising at home to build energy levels and confidence and a new way to shop for food that help my boyfriend and I with our weight problems.

Also.. advice for boredom snacking, my biggest weakness.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 7:21am
Welcome to the group.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 12:14pm

Welcome!! I am 31 and a month ago weighed 330.4. I weighed in yesterday at 316.2. I just wanted to throw that out there because just a month ago I was exactly where you are today!

I agree with savannahsmom. start small. drink plenty of water. If fresh veggies are to expensive right now try frozen. I sometimes have to get a few bags of frozen until the fresh go onsale! I also get frozen fruits. We have a place called aldi that I often shop at well mainly to be honest because it is cheaper there! Also start switching out you white grains for multi or whole wheat. The extra fiber keeps you full longer! Check with your public library see if they have any fitness dvds you can get. My library has walking and yogu dvds and even an oldie....buns of steele! LOL!! They are free and you can check them out more than 1x! Oh try journeling your food also. It is helping me alot! My meals mainly consist of yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, fruit, brown rice, veggies, some form of dairy, and lean cuts of meat, and salmon also.

Good luck! You can do this!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 2:04pm

Thanks for your quick replies.

As far as getting out, it's really hard for me, mostly mentally at the moment I suppose. Nearly 3 years ago I made a huge move, from California to Virginia to live with my boyfriend I met online. (Best decision in my life)

I did get a job right away, working for a fast food place (Oh joy, but better than nothing considering my long unemployed history). Unfortunately, Fast food isn't exactly the easiest of jobs, and as time went on, I got so worn down that I ended up getting fired because I just couldn't perform to their standards. So now I'm home again and have been for several months and the small progress I did make while working, I feel is gone. I want to find another job, but feel the same cycle may build up again so I figured now is the time to lose the weight, get my energy, then work on my next job.

Back to getting out. This area is still new to me, the neighborhood I am in, I don't feel comfortable. From what my boyfriend told me just down the street (like 2 blocks away) at the convenience store a delivery worker nearly got his throat slit. And since I have anxiety issues I can't bring myself to walk more than just going to the car. Let alone take the public transit (which is really crappy here).

My boyfriend does the majority of the grocery shopping, lately he makes me go with him, which I love doing because it gets me out of the house. I just get so tired after wards, so I know I really need to help build my energy up.

The biggest issue is, we do live with his grandma. Kind of we help her out and she helps us out. But, she is always on my case about my boyfriend's weight and how she is worried about him having a heart attack. (which is valid concerns, he is pretty big himself. 23yo, 460lbs and 5'11")

She usually writes out our grocery list, does a lot of the actually cooking around here, but IMO most of the cooking she does isn't exactly the healthiest, just the lifestyle she is used to.

I know my food intake, I know without journalling exactly what I eat each day and I think about it and shake my head. Yesterday I didn't wake up until 3:30, did dishes, made myself 2 corn dogs and 2 burritos. Then came upstairs, for snacking I had some chips, candy whoppers, and an orange. Then I had 2 more corn dogs for dinner, and a couple bites of potato salad my boyfriend brought up when he got home. (Basically everything, but the orange was bad)

I don't have chips or candy anymore, but basically, that is the jist of what I'll do or eat. Or whatever his grandma cooks. I know if I take charge and start coming up with a different grocery list and start cooking (which I think even cooking will help get me out of bed for a while) healthier meals, his grandma wouldn't object. In fact I think she would like to see me take more charge of my boyfriend and my health.

Good news is, she recently started a garden with fresh veggies, so probably in a month or so (not sure how long it takes) we'll have a lot of that, so that cuts a little cost.

One thing my boyfriend and I need to learn is portion control. Sometimes I don't eat a lot at one sitting, but other times I eat too much, and my boyfriend always eats enough for 3 people. (then again sometimes he only eats once a day because of his hectic work schedule).

Anyways sorry for the long rambling. I just want to get everything out there for an idea of how I can start, and something to look back on to realize why I need to do this.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-30-2010 - 5:37pm
Welcome to the board. I am pretty new here also. I also snack a lot when I am bored so if you come up with any solutions for that let me know. Post often :)

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-02-2010 - 5:05pm
Well the night I posted this I was in pain all night, so the next day my boyfriend took me to the hospital. Found out I have a kidney stone that is too big to pass, so need to call tomorrow about getting a urilogist to break it up. Blech. So I've been out of it. I guess this is a very good sign it's really time to change my lifestyle though.
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-02-2010 - 5:28pm

Hi and welcome!

I could really relate to a lot of what you said about your food choices and frustrations.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-02-2010 - 9:36pm
Oo that snack idea does sound good. Thanks for the tips. I am already eating smaller healthier things, mostly because the thought of eating my old greasy things makes me feel sick at the moment. This pain in my lower back reminds me why I don't want those foods anymore lol.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 9:19pm

To ironically coin an old phrase,