Just wanted to Introduce Myself

iVillage Member
Just wanted to Introduce Myself
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 5:01pm

Hello, I wanted to introduce myself so here it goes. My name is Tori, I am a month away from 33, I live in South Carolina, and have a very complicated life. I'm married to a fantastic man but he came with some baggage. He's 48 which makes him 15 yrs my elder. He has a daughter and son from a previous marriage. His daughter is 27 and she

Tori McCormick

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 12:15am

Hello! I am new to this also! I am not however new to being over weight. I have struggled with my weight all of my life, or as long as I can remember! I have also come to the conclusion that its time for a change! if i do not do something now I could end up like my mother who is 60 and very unhealthy. I look at her and I think to myself "where will I be when I am 60?" I want to be able to walk by myself and not worry about diabetes and a long, long, list of other health problems. I am 24 and I am already starting to see some of the health issues she has. I want to do it this time! So many times Ive tried but failed, because I gave up and gave in! It is so hard to conquer this battle alone!

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 12:06pm

It is so nice to meet you Katie. I am with ya girl. I have struggled with my weight all my life also. I remember my first Weight Watchers meeting, I was 13. What I remember the most is what the scale read when I stepped on it, 156 lbs. My mother tried to help me, she tried cooking low fat and didn't allow junk food in our house but I was a kid I wanted to eat like everyone else. So now I'm knocking on 33 and I weigh 281 lbs. I also have family members that are obese and have health problems. My mom was diagnosed with diabetes last year and her father also has diabetes. So its just matter of time, I guess.

I was so happy to see someone had replied to my post. I believe if we could establish a strong support system instead of people telling us

Tori McCormick

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 1:50pm

Hello and welcome to the board! My mother has fibro and the doctor has told her that avoiding alchohol and getting plenty of exercise and a healthy lifestyle will help with her fibro some. She is on a slew of pills and is under 150 pounds but works on her feet for 9 or 10 hours a day. She is a strong woman in my opinion. Sorry didn't mean to ramble. I am 31 and joined this board 5 weeks ago. It seems to be a bit slow right now. I had my wake up call 5 weeks ago and have changed my lifestyle. I walk for exercise everyday and if its raining I go to the local mall. I started out only able to walk 2 tenths of a mile and am now up to a mile a day. My walking buddy at first was my boxer Jada. Once my DH seen how much the 2 of us were enjoying our daily walks he decided to join us and now we walk together a mile a day. At first i was fixing myself healthy meals and then my DH also started eating the same meals I was eating only a slightly larger portion. My whole family is on board with me now that they know the health problems I am having. I truley feel if I didn't change i would end up dying by the time i was 35. My highest weight was 330.4 and I am now 314.2 pounds. I have diabetes, slow thyroid, high blood pressure, angina, depression, and anxiety issues, and recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I was a big stress eater and now I am walking instead of eating! I hope you continue to enjoy your WII!!!! Once your family see's that you on onboard with a healthier lifestyle they will be on board with you!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 2:17pm
I agree just having support would be amazing. I mean dont get me wrong my husband is there and stands by me no matter what, but he kindof brings me down sometimes, like he tells me I give up to easy, dont eat that, eat this, dont walk that far go farther. Ya know? But I am ready to stick to it. He is right I do give up easy but that was before I realized how me being unhappy with my body, made it harder for me to give all of myself to him. You seem to be so positive and uplifting. I know we all have problems but its always good to look around there is always someone who is worse off than you. I dont know when I seen you post I was just drawn to it! Maybe it was for a reason! Thanks for giving me such a positive reply! I am looking foward to going through this and successfully getting to the other side!
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 12:07pm

It's so nice to meet you jadashelbie! And congratulations on the weight you have lost thus far. And congratulations on your DH getting evolved. I am hoping when my DH realizes how serious I am with this he will join in also. I am also hoping my stepdaughter will to she is over 300 lbs and I worry so much about her but I can't make her do something she apparently just does not want to do.

So sorry about your mom having fibro and the fact she is still able to stand on her feet for 9 - 10 hrs a day is remarkable. I think if I lose some weight maybe it will help mine to the point maybe I can rejoin the workforce.

I look forward to getting to know you better and sharing this life changing experience and road ahead with you. Good luck on your journey, our journey. Keep up the wonderful work you have been doing!!!!

Tori McCormick

Tori McCormick

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 12:16pm

You are so welcome. Just remember that your happiness is all that matters. Doing this will make others happy but its your happiness that you seek. People that have never been overweight do not realize what kind of self destruction overweight people go through. We just have to remember that no matter how down we feel, food IS NOT THE ANSWER. LOL Stress can make you think you want that something sweet or salty whatever junk food you go for but its not. I have learned that through exercise and meditation I am able to control those urges and I hope the same for you. Even if meditation isn't for you I hope you find your click that works. Have a great day!

Tori McCormick

Tori McCormick

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 12:25pm

Ok speaking of junk food, What do the two of you go for when you start feeling down and depressed? Better idea if you don't mind, why don't do little bio's tell each other about ourselves. Family? Kids? Hopes? Fears? Goals? What you hope to get out of a support team? I'll work on mine tonight and post tomorrow. If either of you have children, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!! Have a wonderful day.

Quote for the day:In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.

Tori McCormick

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 6:56pm

Here is my bio.....Im 31 and married to my DH for 11 years and 5 months. We have no children but I have had many miscarriages that I contribute to my weight even thou at that time I was around 275 to 290 pounds.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 9:44am

Well for my little bio...

I am 24, been married for 5 years to my husband who loves junk food and could eat 24 hours a day and not gain a pound! I have a three year old son, the light of my life. I am a stay at home mom. I got layed off work last year. I enjoy being home! I just recently started going to the doctor for a check up. THe good news is my diabetes is under control, but now I have high cholesterol and my B12 level was really low. figures! lol

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 9:52am
Thanks! As for junk food, if im feeling depressed for some reason I go for cereal. NOt the nutritious kind, and not the suggested serving! And when I eat it it is not breakfast, its at night right before bed! ugh!!!But I posted a little bit of my bio. I hope that we can all get to know each other! Its nice to meet at least two people who know what its like! My husband weighs 165lbs. He was overweight once before at 240 but lost all of it and then some in 3months. must be nice huh? He trys but he doesnt seem to understand its a little harder for me than it was for him!Any way! I love the quote you posted! I think talking and have the interaction with you two made my fire rekindle! Thanks!

Pages