Losing weight...Im unhealthy.HELP.

iVillage Member
Losing weight...Im unhealthy.HELP.
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 12:07am
Ok ive started and stopped this weight loss journey so many times it makes me sick.As and adolescent I had an eating disorder and it did horrible things to my body.I was able to kick the habit at the age of 18 but have struggled to lose weight the healthy way..I'm always over dieting or binging on garbage.Well I started a healthy diet several months ago on the alli program and lost 20 lbs..well I was dx with celiac disease a while ago and started focusing on finding foods that I can eat and fell off the weight loss plan..Well I gained weight back and started getting really depressed and this brings up the old feelings and I remember how easy it was to lose weight way back when..Im afraid of whats going on inside my head.I know its not healthy but its so tempting for me because I know I will lose weight.the last 2 weeks my routine has been get up...drink a huge glass of no cal something to hold me over...Eat some fruit and yogurt for lunch then eat a small piece of meat and some veggies for dinner..all and all taking in less than 600 cals a day..I know this is not good..I just need the mental support of ppl losing weight so I can get my mind straight..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 12:42pm

Luv2crochet - welcome to the board and thanks for jumping right in.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 11:34am

Hey, I'm new...but thought I would jump right in, anyway.

I was member of the board many years ago. You certainly can get some mental support here. I know you don't need a lecture about the 600 calorie thing...but you're not going in the right direction.

Yes, you'll lose weight but not long-term. I think (in the end for me) it's a combination of mental & physical motivation, a good attitude about food & exercise, and being very realistic with myself. Putting all into action is the hard part, we know the right things to do.

Something that helped me A LOT back in 2005 (I went from about 260 to 225 within 5 months) was blogging about it. When I became less dedicated about writing about it, I fell off the wagon. I doubt anyone ever read it, because I didn't broadcast myself or anything. But, it felt like I was being 100% authentic and real with myself. Everything from my weight, to what I was doing (or not doing), what I needed to do appropriately, and how I was feeling. I'm sort of doing that now with FitDay. I can journal about what's going on and choose to make it public or not.

I'm also a "numbers girl" (especially considering I have been crunching data for 4 years...lol). I think knowing my BMR is really important. Some calculators (like the one on the previously mentioned site) seem a little off. I found another that put my BMR at ~2100 calories (I weighed in a 309lbs last week). I know previously 1400 calories worked very well for me. It's a respectable calorie allowance and I try to aim for (at least) a 500 calorie deficit from my BMR. Regular activities and exercise will only increase my calorie deficit. Since I only need 2100 calories of exercise to lose another pound, I can throw in 700 calories worth of exercise 3x a week. I should lose about 2 pounds a week this way. Every 10-20 lbs, I like to re-evaluate my BMR and make the necessary modifications. I have heard that women shouldn't go below 1200 calories a day. I personally believe that. When I get to that point, whatever I can't lose eating about 1200 cal/day and having a regular exercise program, just won't come off and I'm going to need to be realistic about that.

If I want a beer and a slice of cake one day a week because I have been doing the right thing the other 6 days...so be it. I want to enjoy my life and not spend every day being critical over every aspect of it. No, I'm not going to spend eternity counting calories either. After about a month of figuring out calories, it just became natural. Exercise is probably the most discouraging for me (anything about 260lbs, I feel really heavy) so I just do the best I can and I remind myself that everything I do is progress. Personally, I like TaeBo. It's hard, but not so hard that I want to give up. The plus side is that it takes a lot for it to every become "easy" for me (even when I was 225). So, I always feel like I'm burning a lot of calories and making progress. I hate my stationary bike with a passion. It's looking at me right now, it knows I hate it. Every now and then, I will get on it and ride it (with some music). It knows this, but it's reliable. I don't make a habit out of it, because if it's boring then I won't do it. So, you have to find some things that interest you...a calorie is a calorie no matter how you burn it.

So, after all my venting, the end message is: You know deep inside what needs to be done, putting it into action is the tough part. One of Murphy's Laws is: There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over. So, don't do it the Murphy way!

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 11:23am

Hi Jessy and welcome back!