I can't do it..

iVillage Member
I can't do it..
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 7:14pm
Ok, so I have been heavy all of my life. Out of high school I weighed around 215 pounds, I am about 5foot 8inch, I had my first son at 20, weighed 250 afterwards, dieted and dieted for 15 months, lost like 15lbs, had my second son at 21, up to 265lbs. After about a year and 1/2 I finally got back down to about 215lbs, I felt great, even though I was still chunky, I just felt awesome. Well I started to let the diet go, thought I could eat whatever cuz I lost all that weight, well in about 6 months I put on all the weight I had lost and some. From that point I have put on about 70lbs, and it is sooo depressing. I want to lose this weight, I feel so tired all the time, I feel like my heart is starting to have troubles, my back and legs are killing me, but I just can't do it. I keep wanting to eat healthy but I just don't have it in me. I feel like, whats the point, I'm gonna lose it all and regain it anyways...I am hoping to get some support on here, and maybe some buddies to push me. Thanks guys for reading..
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 1:14pm

Hi and welcome!

As you can probably tell by the replies you've gotten so far, you are not alone in this journey.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 12:52am

As my mother always used to tell me, "can't" never could do anything. I agree with jada, lose the word "diet". Erase it from your vocabulary. As I read your post, I was struck by one thing that you may have lost sight of... you HAVE done it and therefore you CAN do it. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little but it seems to me you only lack the confidence in yourself. No, you didn't keep it off but that doesn't mean to give up the fight. If you ask anyone who has lost a lot of weight what the hardest part of it was, most will tell you it's in the maintenance to keep the weight off. The work isn't done when you reach your goal weight and that's why it has to be a choice to change your LIFE, not just drop the pounds.

I've played the yo-yo game with my weight too and it only gets harder as time goes on. When I was 20, I weighed 250 lbs and decided I didn't want to be heavy. I dropped 80 pounds and got pregnant with my daughter. I gained it all back during my pregnancy and slowly skyrocketed to 300 lbs. I've gained another 25 lbs in the last 5 years to reach my all-time high of 325 at the age of 31. All of this was over the course of a decade. It didn't get that weight overnight so it won't be lost overnight. It takes willpower, dedication, hard work and the DESIRE to be the person you'll be happy seeing when you look in a mirror. You've done it once, you can do it again.

Believe it or not it DOES get easier. Probably the most difficult part starting out was just doing it. As you get used to new routines, habits and new ways of eating, it's not as difficult to say no to that drive-thru run or that bag of cookies at the grocery store. But it takes time to develop new, better habits and you have to give yourself that time to do so. And YOU CAN DO IT. Write that on post-it notes and scatter them around your house if you need to. YOU. CAN. DO. IT. There's nothing stopping you except you and... (all together now)

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Misty

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 12:27am

This is a very hard journey.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 8:25pm

OH YES YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Welcome to the board! I noticed you use alot of the word diet! I HATE that word!!! In my opinion a diet helps you loose the weight and then you quit when you get where you want to be. I use the word lifestyle change. Its the lifestyle I am leading now with a healthy diet and exercise that is going to help me get to where I need to be health wise and help me maintain once I get there. I have always been overweight to I weighed atleast 275 when I graduated from highschool. I hope that you start journaling your food and drinking plenty of water. Try to get rid of the diet soda if you drink any at all sometimes it sets you up for wanting more sweets. I only shop the outside of the store except when I go down the pasta isle for whole wheat pasta for spaghetti. I can pretty much get everything I need on the outside like dairy and fresh fruit and veggies and eggs. I also eat brown rice and whole wheat bread. Im lucky because DH is in this with me and he eats pretty much what I eat except sometimes I make him a special meal with all the icky not so good for you things like on his birthday or our anniversary. I noticed you have children perhaps some of the exercise can be family oriented like bike rides or walks or soccer or softball or hey i'll race ya to the end of the drive sorta thing heck even swimming!

Good luck and YES YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

330.4/304 current