new here

iVillage Member
new here
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 2:00am

Hi, new here. My name is Carol, and I need to lose about 200 pounds. My current weight is 351 and would like to get that down to 150 before all this extra weight kills me. My mom had me take that real age test on this one web site and it is supposed to calculate how old your body thinks it is by evaluating your health and habits. I am only 43 years old but the real age calculated that my body thinks that it is 57.7 years old and it recommended that I get exercise and watch my diet.

I know that I need to get the body moving more. I went to my nieces wedding recently and had to walk down a steep path to the beach where the wedding was held, Getting down was the easy part-I was the last one up the path and someone sent one of my sisters to come find me to make sure that I was ok and didn't collapse and die trying to get back to the parking area. I am not currently employed and now I am wondering if I am physically able to work if I can find work. A lot of people look at fat and think Lazy. But that is not the case. Sometimes I will go out of my way to do extra things just to prove that I can not only do the work but I am capable of doing more. My last job didn't help much I was spending 8 hrs a day at a desk or at the copier. My weight just keeps creeping up.

I don't have a specific diet in mind but I am going to try to cut most of the simple sugars and white breads and try to keep away from processed foods as much as possible. I also plan to do some strength training and I have several dance videos that have been collecting dust that I Need

iVillage Member
In reply to: oregonbookworm
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 12:30am

SJ - re inner thigh exercises -

I KNEW you would know!

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 9:42pm

finally some alone time. I don't seem to get enough sometimes. Spent most of today and yesterday doing laundry at my moms house. The rest of the time my bf was over or my son and a friend of his were here.

I haven't read the outlander series. I haven't had much time to read lately. I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books and a book that Dr. Oz co-wrote and some thing about medical oddities.

I know I NEED to get moving, I have no excuse not to, I have dumbbells and resistance bands, videos, and I live next to a large park with well defined paths. All I have to do is go downstairs and cross the footbridge and I'm there. Its a nice park and I've only been there a hand ful of times and I've lived here since May. I can't even blame the weather It's been cool enough to go out walking and it hasn't rained but I Can 't seem to motivate myself and I know I would feel better if I did.

I'm gonna try to get out early tomorrow and try to walk at least

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 11:12am

Here are leg exercises you can do with just your own body weigt.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 9:50pm

My biggest obstacle right now is exercise and I'm not sure what to do about it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 1:03am

Don't be discouraged Carol. Your body is simply not used to the movement and the dance workout may be a little too much of a shock just yet. Take it a step at a time and remember the whole point is MOVEMENT. Park on the far side of the parking lot when you go to the grocery store. Take your dog (if you have one) on an extra circle around the block. Find a nearby walking/biking trail and just walk it to enjoy nature (MUCH better than a boring treadmill any day).

The first time I did the Cardio 1 workout on BL's 30-Day Jump Start, I was trying to do all the exercises as the main people were. That was SUCH a bad idea for me at 330 lbs. I didn't pick up the dvd again for 2 weeks because I felt just so horrible after, both physically and mentally. But when I put it on and did it again, I did the exercises in the beginner's format they have 2 of the people doing. I still worked up a pretty good sweat but I was able to make it all the way through it this time! Just be sure to have a bottle (or glass) of water nearby and keep yourself hydrated regardless of how you choose to exercise.

Misty

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 12:20am

I do wonder if he is worried that I might be attractive to someone else if I would lose the weight, or perhaps he might find me unattractive if I were thinner. Don't have an answer for that. I just wish I felt better both physically and emotionally, I'm achy and feel like a wimp. I could only do 10 Min. of a dance workout before having to sit down. I may just be expecting too much too soon it has been a while since I seriously got any exercise.

And yes I do read quite a bit. It depends on what catches my attention at the time be it fiction or non fiction. I like nature books, mystery, and fantasy.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 10:35am

Hi Carol, and welcome to our board!

Misty gave you a couple of great ideas to start out, and SJ really nailed it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 12:10am

Welcome to the board!

One of the best lifestyle changes you can make is to replace everything you drink with water...limit your caffeine intact and try to drink 8 glasses of water a day.= -no soda, no juices, no sugarry, creamy coffee drinks - just good old H2O...

If you don't have a support system in your 'real' life, you can always use the board.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 11:57pm

Thanks for the welcome. I don't know about getting family and friends involved in the changes, I don't have the most supportive family and my son does not want me to dance in front of him or in public and gets in my way if I try. I can't be diet buddies with my boyfriend he is the worst at sabotaging any effort and his idea of losing

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 2:31am

Hello from one newbie to another. First off, congrats on making the first step by deciding to lose the weight. I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to following your progress. If you'll allow me, I'd like to give you a few tips and tricks I've learned in the last couple of months by trial and error.

1) Start by making small changes. You'd be surprised how much it helps to exchange that soda for a glass of water instead. If you change too much too soon, it gets overwhelming very fast and it's a recipe for disaster. This applies to exercise as well. I started out with the Biggest Loser 30-day Jump Start dvd. The workouts are only 10 minutes and then I would cool off with a walk around the block. I did this 2-3 times a week for the first 2 weeks.

2) Don't think of it as a "diet". Diets are things that people go on to lose that extra 10 pounds they gained during the holidays. It's a life change. You want to be healthier by losing the extra weight and keeping it off.

3) Make friends and family aware of how you want to change your body and your life. Share your goals and tell them why you want this change. By doing that you do a few things - a) you're now accountable to them for your actions so that makes cheating less desireable, b) they're an AWESOME support group when you need that extra inspiration to remind you that it'll be worth it, and c) they're likely to change their eating habits around you to reduce temptations and, in doing so, they're being healthier too! Everyone wins.

4) Find a picture of you in healthier days, or a picture of an outfit you'd like to fit into. Print it out and put it on the fridge. Someone else told me this trick and I was skeptical at first. But it really does work.

Welcome to the board Carol (even though I'm a newbie too). =)

Misty