So... I've got no hook.

iVillage Member
So... I've got no hook.
Sat, 05-31-2008 - 10:26pm

Linda was right. (surprised anyone??)

But not only does my query have no hook, I started reading my book again to get a fresher feel and I'm thinking the problem is bigger than that - my BOOK has no hook.

I think I've got some really good elements, solid voice, humor is not a problem but I'm writing the query letter and I can't figure out how to make it pop and so I started reading the story again and I was detailing it out to friend that I was camping with and realizing that no one element in the story is stronger than the other - the themes and storylines all seem to be even.

Does that make any sense?

I need the stand-out thread that weaves through the story and really packs a bigger punch than any other.

(Ironically, the same thought that I had that night my friend voiced the next day was to make the main male character turn out to be an alien. Ha! Ha!)

I have also enlisted the help of a local professional editor. I am waiting on a reply email from her.

jennie310308.gif picture by abismom04

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

MadsenFallSiggy3.png picture by jenniemadsen1

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 9:17am

I can't say I'm not surprised it wasn't in the story.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 10:19am

It makes me sad for this story. LOL

My unedited Romance and unedited Christian Chick Lit each have a hook. I can tell you the hooks from those and I've not read my romance in about 1.5 years (it was nano 2006) and my Christian Chick lit started with only a hook and I developed it from there.

So, I know I can do it - I've just got to decide what it is I want it to be and then work it in. Chronically Skeptic - the YA fiction seems to be a pliable story - could go in several directions which is good now for me but in the end once it's got a hook, I think it won't be pliable anymore - it will be solid - okay, I sound cheesy now. LOL

jennie310308.gif picture by abismom04

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2008 - 10:00pm

LOL - okay, I tried the pitch in one sentence - it's tough!

Alivia Less is listening to God but has been following through on only what seems convenient -

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2008 - 10:25pm

Alivia Less is listening to God but has been following through on only what seems convenient -

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2008 - 10:30pm

THIRD TIME's sometimes a CHARM lol

Alivia is listening to God and working hard to follow through - but only on what is convenient. A small child leads her to join the church choir and her life spirals out of her control and into the hands of God. She realizes He's been speaking to her through her mother's handmade t-shirts, her daily email scriptures and even the words

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2008 - 11:13pm

TAKE TEN - hahahh hahaha

IN about ten more I might be there - a few phrases still don't pack the punch I want them too - but it's coming along. Granted, the BOOK isn't finished so I can't send this out but it's good practice at the very least.

Alivia has always had

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-08-2008 - 8:11am

I hate to say it, but these aren't doing much for me.

------

Writing Blog |